What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 F-1006A,C,D

Blizzard

These three pieces have a considerable about of curve to them. Flute if required. The problem is they curve in a direction that fluting would actually add to the curve. I'm sure the bow in the piece is because of the curve it has. The inside edge opposite the flanges has a smaller radius causing it to bow from the stamping. Fluting the flanges would make it worse. Ideas? Is this normal for these pieces and how do you get the bow out?? Are they bent like this to account for the tail cone narrowing down as it goes aft? I notice the flanges are bent slightly more then 90 degrees too, I assume to account for the narrowing tail cone. They lay on a flat surface looking as if they have been over fluted but none has been done.

Narrowing is for the taper of the tail cone, yes.

I did not flute those parts until later (10-12 step 3) where you basically flute the two-holed tabs as much as you can. The top skins do not fit until you do.

Those parts are big and floppy enough that they bend and fit fine. Note that you really don't do anything with this bulkhead until mating it to the fuselage. The instructions are a bit unclear about this in some places (eg, dimpling the stiffeners). My understanding is that you pretty much do no final ops (drill, dimple) to anything involving this bulkhead's flanges and associated holes in the skins and stiffeners until mating to the fuselage. It's just along for the ride for alignment purposes.

Also double check all the tabs on the frames and bulkheads to make sure they're fair with the others or you'll have a hard time installing the skins. They want to buckle out a bit if you flute and the tabs along the tight radiuses need to be bent to make the radius smooth.

Thanks again. I clecoed those parts together just to see what they might do joined and you're right...very floppy ring of aluminum. I'll just see how it all lines up down the road

Back