- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatRV View Post
There is another thread talking about Proseal turning into mush when the tank is leaking. This gets me worried because I thought the Proseal is fuel proof and the leaking is caused by improper sealing instead of Proseal disintegrating over time. Were you using the 10:1 mix ratio in your build or did you vary the mix ratio to compensate for the temperature?
We know it happens. We don't yet know why it happens, not in the chemical sense. It is not mix ratio; the manganese dioxide is a catalyst, not a component. Full reversion appears to be linked to evaporation of fuel in free air. Some older technical papers suggest a link to the formation of peroxides in fuel.

Most would be surprised to learn there is no mil spec or standard specific to polysulfide sealant use with avgas or mogas. All tests are done with JRF, a standard fluid emulating jet fuel. Does it matter? Clearly the sealant works under normal circumstances, inside the tanks. Avgas is standardized. Mogas is always a wild card.

Entirely aside, I'm not aware of any manufacturer's instruction which suggests mix ratio should be varied for temperature.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't vary the mix but other mentioned they used a hotter mix while working in colder climate.

Donation paid through 2019
Old 07-31-2019, 11:46 PM

I used the standard ratio. Will have to find the other post about proseal.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:35 AM

Default Tank test

I used the bubble test and it was evident where leaks appeared to be. However, it did not get all of them. I highly recommend the fuel test. Put the tank on concrete. The concrete will stain or just be wet. Weeping rivets did not bubble test well. I learned the hard way after installing and then having to remove my tanks. Find some 100 LL somewhere. Not to hard.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:31 AM

Nobody mentioned Snoop. Cheap at about 4 dollars a bottle. Super sensitive to slightest leak. Has a little glycerine in it with the soap. Get it at a swaglok distributor most towns have one. If it doesn’t bubble with Snoop there is no leak.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:43 PM

I was thinking about the comment about using snoop. My initial thought, was cool, a better way to flush out bubbles. My concern would be what if there was a leak? Would the ingredients in snoop interfere with bonding new sealant to the existing sealant? Yes, you can clean the surfaces, but in this case I would be hesitant to mess with what has always worked.
2019 dues paid
Old 09-03-2019, 01:16 AM

Follow up on my problem. I am sure the leak was caused by mogas as the tank which only ever had avgas still does not leak. My bodgy job didn't work, so I removed the tank again and found a leak at the rear of the wing closest to the fuselage, where rib, top skin and aft wall of the tank meet. Much probing and I managed to find the leak, right in the corner. Eventually I got a 3/32 drill right through and with much probing and scraping was able to fix the problem with proseal. The cost of proseal was less than the cost of freight. So far all seems well, It tested OK and has been filled twice since repairing it.