Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 01:04 PM

Default Forward and aft baggage areas on RV9A?

I bought a RV9A in November. In studying the Weight and balance section of the POH. It refers to forward baggage 122” aft of datum and aft baggage 144 inches aft of datum. I can see the aft baggage area but I can’t find the forward baggage area. Can someone help?

Thanks

Joby Wieser
Old 01-16-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joby View Post
I bought a RV9A in November. In studying the Weight and balance section of the POH. It refers to forward baggage 122” aft of datum and aft baggage 144 inches aft of datum. I can see the aft baggage area but I can’t find the forward baggage area. Can someone help?

Thanks

Joby Wieser
It's all one area. Starts just behind the seats (FB) and goes 24" back that stops at baggage wall (RB).
*Image for area reference only.

Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by pazmanyflyer : 01-16-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Joby Wieser
The baggage area on the 9 is at 122” aft. 144” is even further back, and would seem to imply that the builder added an extra storage area. Is there a compartment behind the baggage bulkhead?

Chris
Old 01-16-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
The baggage area on the 9 is at 122” aft. 144” is even further back, and would seem to imply that the builder added an extra storage area. Is there a compartment behind the baggage bulkhead?

Chris
Not by the plans - but some people have installed long tubes back in that area to carry fishing rods. It's far enough aft that you certainly don't want to put any meaningful weight back in that area.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Not by the plans - but some people have installed long tubes back in that area to carry fishing rods. It's far enough aft that you certainly don't want to put any meaningful weight back in that area.
Correct, I should have asked if it looks like the builder ADDED a storage area behind the bulkhead. It is for sure too far back to put anything besides the lightest stuff.

Chris
Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM

There isn’t any other access aft of the normal baggage back wall. After further google search I found this pdf on line. http://www.vansairforce.net/poh/rv-9apoh.doc The POH I have is a copy of this POH with the serial number and tail number changed. The W&B. Is copied verbatium. Clearly I need to do an actual weight and balance on this plane.

Is there a downloadable procedure for doing this?

Thanks for all your answers.

Joby
Old 01-16-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Is there a downloadable procedure for doing this?
Joby
Did you get the Van's Builder Manual with the purchase of the plane? If not, you should purchase a copy from Van's. Inside you will find instructions for how to do a proper weight and balance including the datum and all of the various arm lengths.

Good luck.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2020
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM

First reaction I had was that the maybe the builder used portions of a RV-8 W&B report, but your POH numbers don't match that either.
Might be an idea to redo the whole weighing & calculate your own data to confirm the base data in the POH.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:16 AM

I found how to do the weight and balance in the big box of documentation I got with the airplane. Will do a new W&B, thanks for y’alls help.

Joby
Old 01-17-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
Might be an idea to redo the whole weighing & calculate your own data to confirm the base data in the POH.
Actually, a POH is a legal document required by a factory built airplane's type certificate. Experimental aircraft therefor cannot have a POH in the legal sense of the term.

And given all the variables in homebuilt aircraft -- engine, prop, equipment, etc. -- there can be a lot of variation in weight between airplanes built from the same kind of kit. One airplane's "POH" would have little relevance to another plane.
2019 dues slightly overpaid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."