VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-25-2018, 09:03 PM

Default Best location for audio panel?

Ladies and gents. I've changed up the panel a bit (shocker right?) and I'm looking for those that have experience with locations of the audio panels. I've never had one and this 7 will have more equipment than I have ever had in a panel before. So my question is if it would be better to have the audio panel at the top above the Dynon equipment or below them? It works either way for me and since I have never had this setup I do not know which works best or most efficiently. Keep in mind that I am looking ahead in adding IFR equipment. Your 2 cents gladly accepted.

Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by pazmanyflyer : 11-27-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:21 AM

I would put it below the IFR navigator -3rd option

RV-10 in progress
Build Log
Old 11-26-2018, 04:50 AM

Having the audio panel high was useful in the old days when you looked at the outer/inner marking light. Now I cast another vote for "option 3"
RV-14 kit #140138
Flight testing
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 11-26-2018, 05:01 AM

option #3 for me also. Bottom of stack, once it's set for audio levels you don't use it much so get it out of the way. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:32 AM

You want the IFR navigator as high as you can get it. If you find you have room for the shorter audio panel after you get the IFR navigator as high as it will go, them put it above the IFR navigator. If not, then it goes under the IFR navigator.

You want the Dynon Knob Panel as the easiest thing to touch - this is because it gets used far more than anything else. The second most used panel is the autopilot module. Consider moving one of these to the left of the left of the pilotís EFIS display. So an option becomes having the autopilot module to the left of the pilotís EFIS, the Knob Panel and the Dynon Comm #2 mounted horizontally below the center stack - the Knob Panel on the left for your right hand.

Carl
Old 11-26-2018, 07:32 AM

Default behind panel clearance a consideration

The audio panel is likely less deep than other boxes you might want in the stack. With a sliding canopy, putting the audio panel at the top allows the stack to be located higher in the panel and still clear the significant structure behind.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-GRVT View Post
The audio panel is likely less deep than other boxes you might want in the stack. With a sliding canopy, putting the audio panel at the top allows the stack to be located higher in the panel and still clear the significant structure behind.
+1 why mine is mounted high.
RV-10 "in the works"
VAF Paid - Annual Autodraft
Old 11-26-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Same here, this is why both mine are located at the top to the radio stack. While the RV10 is not a slider, it fit better at the top of the stack there also.
Granbury, Tx
http://bit.ly/2bnimsZ
Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-GRVT View Post
Not true in this Dynon Skyview case. The three Dynon boxes shown are only about 2 inches deep + connector space - way less than the depth of a standard rack audio panel.

I vote for option 2 at present, and then move it down to below the IFR Navigator when that device is added in the future (aka Option 3) ...
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 11-26-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:33 AM

Your plan looks a lot like my panel.

My audio panel is up high. It almost never gets touched, except when swapping Comm1/Comm2 or listening to Nav for ID.

My GPS/NAV/COMM is under the audio panel where it is very visible and on the same visual level as the pilot's EFIS. This allows my eyes to travel back and forth from the EFIS to the GPS without having to visually search for the GPS. It may sound silly, but it's a fact that the eye goes back and forth horizontally a lot easier than going diagonally.

As others have mentioned, you will use the Knob Panel the most, so it goes right next to the EFIS. All adjustments to the Knob Panel are indicated on the EFIS, so it is convenient to have the EFIS and Knob Panel right next to each other.

Next to the Knob Panel is the Autopilot Panel. You will use this panel often to set up your navigation method, so it should be easy to reach.

I put my Comm2 radio (the Dynon) on the far right of the three panels. I can push frequencies to the Dynon Comm2, but usually I just dial frequencies in as ATC gives them to me. The freqs are indicated on the radio panel, so visually, my hands are operating where my eyes are looking at the freq screen. I use my Dynon Comm2 as my primary radio, and use my GPS/NAV/COMM1 as my backup radio and for picking up ATIS while staying on COMM2 with ATC.

I built this panel about two years ago. It's the third panel I've had in this plane, and is the result of all of the good and bad things I've found with my prior two panels. I've been really happy with the current set-up, and will probably build an exact replica of this panel for the RV-14 I'm building now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj4famgpc1...Panel.png?dl=0
RV-14 N144P (Empennage complete, wings almost complete, fuselage almost complete)
#866 on the Van's RV-7 hobbs
#6563 on Van's generic hobbs
Arlington, WA

Last edited by DakotaHawk : 11-27-2018 at 04:02 AM.