VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-01-2016, 06:00 PM

Default oshkosh ground opps

What are the rules for engine start? I know that you have too wait for the atis. I waited until I heard it then there was a ground person near me so I waived for engine start. She gave me a thumbs up I started and then she waived me forward. When I got to the pavement there was someone else that stopped me. He said that only a person with a _____ color shirt can tell you to start. and he also said you had to pull the aircraft by hand to the end of the alley. Is this in the notam?
Old 08-01-2016, 06:27 PM

Default Definitely not what I did...

I was in HBC and left Wednesday morning. The directions were to wait until the Airport was open. ATIS would indicate. Pull your plane out of the camping spot and start your engine. Taxi towards the taxiways and be directed by EAA ground ops. We headed toward 27 along with three other planes. Never saw anyone. After a little confusion and starts and stops looking for direction we left from 27 following another plane coming from the Terminal.
Granted there was little to no traffic but that was the same procedure a saw plane after plane follow Tuesday afternoon. No Ground OPS until the taxiways.

Sounds like someone might have let his shirt go to his head. My son was stopped and bag checked as he was walking to the show from HBC. Some kid sitting on a Gator? Some people!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:39 PM

I asked at the departure briefing booth when I was getting ready to leave HBC Wed. morning. I thought I had a handle on the procedure, but wanted to make sure. They guy there told me to check ATIS for weather (airport was quite obviously open) and pull the plane into the aisle, a ground guide should show up (they watch for movement). He also said that if no one showed up I was to check the area, carefully start and taxi to the pavement.

I pulled my plane out into the aisle and an EAA volunteer ground person appeared on a scooter within a minute or two. I followed him as far as taxiway P. It was the same process we used last year when I was in the right seat of a friend's 7A in HBP. I don't recall ever seeing anyone pull the plane out farther than the middle of the row.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 08-01-2016, 06:56 PM

oops... i was parked in the north 40 and left thursday morning. there was no one around and it was raining. i got axis, started it up, pulled out of my parking space and taxied to the edge of the grass until i got a hold of ground control.
RV10 - #41673
http://n688cd.wordpress.com
N688CD Reserved
Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
I asked at the departure briefing booth when I was getting ready to leave HBC Wed. morning. I thought I had a handle on the procedure, but wanted to make sure. They guy there told me to check ATIS for weather (airport was quite obviously open) and pull the plane into the aisle, a ground guide should show up (they watch for movement). He also said that if no one showed up I was to check the area, carefully start and taxi to the pavement.

I pulled my plane out into the aisle and an EAA volunteer ground person appeared on a scooter within a minute or two. I followed him as far as taxiway P. It was the same process we used last year when I was in the right seat of a friend's 7A in HBP. I don't recall ever seeing anyone pull the plane out farther than the middle of the row.
This is the same experience I had on departure from HBC.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 PM

Default Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
This is the same experience I had on departure from HBC.
I left Friday afternoon just before the show from HBP. I pulled out my plane into the aisle and wing walkers came to my plane almost immediately. By the time I was strapped in, a Flight Line guy in a Gator pulled up and signaled me to start up and follow him. Piece of cake.
FFR Roadster (sold)
Old 08-02-2016, 05:54 AM

Default Notam

If they want you to pull into the alley before start
they should put that in the notam.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyja View Post
That's been SOP for years and common sense.

You don't want your prop wash to blow FOD into the row behind you.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyja View Post
Really--the NOTAM, which based upon this year's follies most don't appear to read to begin with? Anyway, the "rule" is clearly articulated in the camping guidelines: "Aircraft engines may not be started at the campsite. On departure, aircraft must be pushed out of the campsite."

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pla...ing-guidelines
WAR EAGLE!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 AM

The way Dale and Bud described it is exactly how the system is supposed to work. When things get busy we do can get overwhelmed, but please be patient at the world's busiest airport.

As far as putting it in the NOTAM- there is already enough information in there that half the pilots don't bother to read (nobody who flew in on Sunday this year would disagree with this.) The reason for pulling out into the aisle is common courtesy- there are airplanes parked right behind you (with tents in HBC) and your prop wash is powerful. Besides, this info is passed on by the departure briefers... you did talk to departure briefing before you left, right???
Milwaukee