Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2016, 05:08 AM

Default Garmin Team X introduces the GTX 45R and GTX 35R ADS-B transponders for experimental

Team X is excited to announce this new series of remote mount transponders specifically for the experimental and light sport market. Some key highlights listed below.

GTX 35R
  • Minimum advertised price, $2199
  • Replaces the GTX 23 ES in our lineup
  • Remote mount Class 1 transponder
  • Configured and controlled by G3X or G3X Touch
  • Nominal 250W Transmit Power
  • Meets ADS-B Out mandate with compatible GPS (e.g. GPS 20A, GNS 4XXW/5XXW, GTN 6XX/7XX...)
  • 1090 MHz ADS-B Out for worldwide coverage

GTX 45R

Everything about the GTX 35R above applies to the GTX 45R and the boxes have the same basic form factor. Additionally, the GTX 45R has the following features:
  • Minimum advertised price, $3499
  • Built-in dual link ADS-B In receiver so you can see all ADS-B equipped aircraft without a ground station
  • Uses the same antenna for transponder and ADS-B functions simplifying your installation
  • Provides wired ADS-B weather and traffic interfaces for G3X Touch, GTN 6XX/7XX and GNS 4XXW/5XXW. Up to 3 RS-232 serial ports and the GTN Ethernet port are available for wired ADS-B weather/traffic all over the panel!
  • Built-in Bluetooth link streams attitude, GPS, ADS-B weather/traffic to compatible devices (e.g. G3X Touch, Garmin Pilot, ForeFlight, aera 795/796 and aera 660)
  • NOTE: Legacy non-touch G3X displays do not display ADS-B weather and traffic from the GTX 45R. However, they can perform the transponder configuration and control functions. Customers wanting display of ADS-B weather/traffic on their GDU 37X display will continue to use the GDL 39 series dual link receiver.

The following diagrams are examples of the transponder data interfaces only. Please see the G3X installation manual for complete details.

GTX 35R Diagram

GTX 45R Diagram with GPS 20A

GTX 45R with GTN 750

And last but not least, we are excited to announce that in addition to the GTX 35R/45R, our upcoming software release adds support for the GTX 335, 335R, 345 and 345R series. While we think most G3X customers will opt for either a GTX 35R or 45R, the GTX 3x5 series may be an excellent choice if you either a) really want a panel mounted transponder and/or b) want an ADS-B compliant GPS built into the transponder. As noted above, the GTX 35R and 45R require an external ADS-B GPS such as the GPS 20A, GNS 4XXW/5XXW or GTN. Also important to note, while choosing the GPS 20A does mean an extra box for your aircraft, it has some nice benefits beyond being ADS-B compliant since it lives on the G3X network and acts as another GPS source for all your G3X displays. Again, if you have any questions about what fits your situation best, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

8/11/2016 Update: New G3X V10.90 and G3X Touch V4.60 software released this week to provide integration with these new transponders.

Thanks,
Brian
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 08-11-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added note about new G3X and G3X Touch software.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:16 AM

Aaaaand I was 3 months early to the party. Oh well, if my GTX 23 ever dies I know what I'll be buying. Great news for "compact" aircraft like the -3/4, one less antenna and one less RG-400 cable is a big help! Kudos again Garmin!
Old 07-20-2016, 05:34 AM

I was on the very verge of writing a check for my avionics, I'm glad I waited!

Brian and Team X, how does the GTX 45R compare size-wise to the GTX 23ES? I didn't see an updated install manual on the Garmin website yet and I had been braining out how to fit the 23ES somewhere under my panel. I hope the 45R isn't any larger...?

Dave
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004!
Old 07-20-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
I was on the very verge of writing a check for my avionics, I'm glad I waited!

Brian and Team X, how does the GTX 45R compare size-wise to the GTX 23ES? I didn't see an updated install manual on the Garmin website yet and I had been braining out how to fit the 23ES somewhere under my panel. I hope the 45R isn't any larger...?

Dave
The basic GTX 35R/45R dimensions including rack/connectors are 10.63" L x 1.72" W x 6.3" H. So it is smaller than the GTX 23 ES. Installation manual revision coming very soon.

Thanks,
Brian
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:43 AM

Someone with more coffee in their system this morning do a breakdown comparison of this against the GTX 23 ES

Sharing the weather/traffic with my GTN stack is enough justification for me to want it

Last edited by bkthomps : 07-20-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:34 AM

Currently have speced a system with Stein that includes the 23 ES and 39R. With the two that costs about 3k, what do I gain if I replace this with the 45R which would cost 500 more?
Old 07-20-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
Someone with more coffee in their system this morning do a breakdown comparison of this against the GTX 23 ES.
Essentially you're getting a GTX-23ES and a GDL-39 in one unit. So...you'll have ADS-B Out on 1090, and ADS-B In on 1090 *and* UAT all in the same box.

Might be a little more expensive, but it'll save me time and money by not needing to install, wire and provide an antenna for a GDL-39.

Dave
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004!

Last edited by Thermos : 07-20-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:44 AM

Dave, just something to consider- my GDL39R will reboot randomly anytime it's bluetooth linked to my iPad, for those reasons, I don't use this functionality anymore (and frankly, with as much glass as I have, the iPad is extremely redundant and not very useful)

same goes with the Garmin Pilot to G3X via bluetooth...random reboots

For those reasons, eliminating the GDL39 and the wireless link requirement sounds great, additionally, the GTX 45R being wired to the GTN series to share traffic/weather, also sounds great

as for simply eliminating the existing functionality, i'd say they took this chance to redesign and reduce the number of potential chokepoints such as the ones i mention above
Old 07-20-2016, 07:49 AM

Brain,

For me it would be very helpful if Garmin put together a features matrix with all of the latest transponders. I'm trying to decide what will be the best option for me since I haven't purchased any of the related equipment yet. I don't have unlimited budget so I am looking at cost tradeoffs too.

Personally I still like the GTX345 w/ GPS for my solution (other than the price) but do I give up something since that is targeted at the certified market? I don't plan to have a navigator unit in my initial installation. So for me a table with the GTX35R, GTX45R, GTX335, GTX345 and maybe even the GTX23ES would be very helpful. I'm sure others could make use of this format of information too.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
Shop Setup - In Progress (Gathering Tools, Never Complete)
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 07-20-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
  • Replaces the GTX 23 ES in our lineup
g3expert - Do you know when the GTX 23 ES will be discontinued?

This is exactly what I've been waiting for. I'm hoping a quick discontinuation of the GTX 23 ES will light a fire under Vans to update the RV-12 Garmin Avionics Kit with the new transponder as soon as possible. I'm ready to buy when it's ready.