What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bad Rivet

mikemalone

I have attached the top fibreglass fairing to my RV-7 rudder using blind rivets. Unfortunately, I set one rivet (the aft-most) at the thin end of the fairing in such a way that it sticks out (this was due to interference from the rivet on the opposite side to that which I was trying to set, and my own stupidity). If I try to drill out the offending rivet and just replace it, loose rivet fragments will rattle around in the top of the rudder until eternity. Short of replacing the fairing completely or decapitating/butchering it and re-glassing it again after removing all loose impediments, does anyone out there have any bright ideas. The offending rivet sticks out around 1/16th of an inch. Could I maybe just saw/file off the bit that sticks out and use some kind of filler to tidy it up??

I wouldn't worry about the remnants rattling around. If you drill out will you be able to install a new one with the interference?

If not the grinding off the head and filling would work. A bit of flox and epoxy would provide a bit of strength if the rest of the rivet didn't push through.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I can set a new rivet of the same length without interference from the rivet on the opposite side.

I figure that if the rivet pushes through it will eventually end up in the bottom fairing.

Mike

If it is like the -10, there are a couple of rivets that you have to set in stages. You start to set and then ease it in a bit more, bit more setting, bit more easing in. You just have to take it slowly. The finished length of the set rivet should avoid interference.

And I have a couple of rivet bits rattling around for ever more........

Glue it

Once you drill out the rivet, see if you can squirt some pro seal or sealant into the hole, hopefully the rivet tail will get some glue on it and then stick to something, the tail will be there but no rattling around. This is a common practice for aircraft manufacture (no names I like my pension).
Hope this helps. Bob

If there is not enough clearance for a blind rivet, you can shorten it a bit. Tap the mandrel out, grind down the rivet and slide it back on the mandrel. A bit more clearance can be had by grinding the mandrel head flat.

Stewart Willoughby
6, finishing

Stoo is right

That's how ya do it. Simple and it works.......

If there is not enough clearance for a blind rivet, you can shorten it a bit. Tap the mandrel out, grind down the rivet and slide it back on the mandrel. A bit more clearance can be had by grinding the mandrel head flat.

Stewart Willoughby
6, finishing

Back