What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Tip Light Lens Seal?

jrouault

Well Known Member
Patron
Are people sealing the wingtip light lens and if so how? After flying in some rain the other day I saw some moisture that behind the wingtip lenses. I have the Creativair combo LED nav light, strobe, and HID landing light setup, so there is lots of stuff that could be harmed by the water. I am thinking of sealing the lens, but not sure how. Anybody else do this?

No seal on mine

I actually drilled a 1/8" drain hole in the lower aft inboard corner of each lens.

Bob Axsom

What about cleaning?

I still have to do the lenses, but I am wondering, if water gets on the inside of the plexy, it will get dirty. How do you clean them?, take them off every ones in a while?

Regards, Tonny.

Water in the Airplane

Even if a small amount of moisture can get around the lens, I don't think it would be enough to do any damage to the lights or connections. Nothing so far on mine. On the other hand, even with sealing, water sometimes finds a way in and maybe now you've managed to trap it.
I'm more concerned with water getting thru the canopy seal. Twice now I've flown for brief periods in what ATC is calling as moderate to heavy rain. Nothing like tracking an ILS where you start to feel drips on your feet inside the final fix. I keep trying to improve the forward seal (tip-up). It's better, but still not perfect. Anybody tried anything that's worked?
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

I am finishing my wing tips and also have the same question about sealing the tips. I was thinking a simple strip of UHMW tape might do the trick. Or maybe a bead of silicone on the edges? Any thoughts?

Silikon

I put a small string of clear silikon on the inside of the top edges, (the lower edges don't need any ofcourse) and so far it's been working good : I've flown through rain several times and I haven't seen any moisture inside the lenses yet.

Silicon on wing tip lens to seal

If you use the silicon to seal the top edge of the lens can you still remove the lens easy enough later for cleaning, maintenance, painting or for whatever reason?

How about others? Do we need to do anything to seal the embedded wing tip plastic lens? Or is it just fine to install and fly and not worry. Is a hole for drainage or ventilation necessary?

thanks

Seel and Peel

Stewart
Excellent. I didn't know such a product existed. I'll be sealing mine shortly.

heat

My issue with the tips has been heat. If you seal them tightly you could melt the plexi with the heat from the strobe...

Back