What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

another canopy cutting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desertsky

Is it easier to cut the canopy with a angle die grinder or the standard grinder? I have to buy one. Is there a best die grinder? Thanks....

Consider a vibrating saw/sander tool

If you are looking for a tool specifically for plexi, consider one of the vibrating saw tools. There is a range of them.

Fein = $$
Rockwell = middle $$
Harbor freight = Dirt cheap but functional

I bought the Harbor freight model and it worked perfectly for canopy and other plexi work. It is a LOT more controllable than a die grinder/cutoff disc for cutting plexi. Downsides of the cheap version is that it is very noisy and the gearbox gets hot.

See other thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=58564&highlight=harbor+freight

If you don't have an air grinder at all and still want to go that way, I highly reccomend a small right angle unit. It is one of the handiest tools I have in the shop when combined with Roloc pads, sanding discs or the small scotchbrite wheels.

Ditto

I used the cheap Harbor Freight tool and it worked great. I posted back in July of 2010 with some links to a couple of You Tube videos showing me cutting mine. It's the way to go.

Well, I'm in the process of working on my canopy cuts right now as well. I have all three... the Harbor Freight vibrating tool, and both right-angle and straight die grinders... and I've tried them all. I ended up using the straight die grinder for most of my cuts so far. The right-angle die grinder works, too, but sometimes it gets in the way of itself, if that makes sense, depending on the orientation of the work and where your hands are at. The vibrating tool cuts the plexi okay but sort of melts its way through. I just slightly prefer the finish on the cut when using the cutting disk. So the straight die grinder is my preference. I hold the tool with both hands and put a finger out on the edge of the canopy to help position the tool and keep it from drifting around while I do the cut. I've been able to get remarkably precise cuts this way. That's my 2-cents worth.

By the way, as a side note, the most impressive tool that I've found to clean up the cut, break the edges, and even out any irregularities after the cut is finished, is the vixen file. It works great!

I used the Harbor Freight tool. Gives better control of the cut and less dust compaired to the die grinder. Don't get the Sears version---------- not as much power and more than twice the price, I took mine back!
Stewart
6, finishing

90 Degree

I have both, and unless clearance is an issue, I find the 90 degree more controlable. Held so the tool body is 6 O'clock, the cutting or grinding should be done between 1 and 5 O'clock as the tool turns clockwise. The geometry is just right for control. A firm hand is required for the straight, and when it gets away its more likely to make a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back