- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderon View Post
in the Vanís RV-14 canopy fairing videos, they use denatured alcohol to clean the surface prior to layup.
Dave, weíre talking here about the use of solvents specifically on acrylic canopies. And the only alcohol that is safe to use on acrylic is isopropyl alcohol. I donít know what Vans has on their website but if they are saying that denatured alcohol/methylated spirits is safe to use on acrylic canopies then they are totally misinformed. The use of inappropriate chemicals/solvents has probably caused more cracks in Vans canopies than any other reason. Even builders using Sikaflex and drilling no holes are getting cracks in their canopies.
Believe me when I say that methylated spirits will cause cracking of acrylic. Is denatured alcohol the same as methylated spirits....I say yes but therein lies the problem....builders cannot always be sure of exactly what they are buying when they go to their local hardware store. Thereís a LOT of different alcohols and shandy blends out there.
I will only use mild dishwashing detergent and water on my canopy, or Plexus cleaner. If I had a more aggressive stain I would use pure kerosene on a rag in moderation. Failing that I would use an Optica Scratch Off kit. Thatís it....nothing else. I know isopropyl alcohol is relatively safe but sourcing pure isopropyl alcohol can be problematic. Sourcing pure kerosene is much easier and so that is what I recommend for difficult cleaning.
Iíve been on this forum for virtually 2 decades and it just drives me nuts that posters just keep recommending the most inappropriate/really dangerous products for use on Vans acrylic canopies. It just never ends.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
The Everclear comment reminded me that one tenant left a bottle of vodka behind when he moved out. I needed to clean a few things and that worked great. 60% alcohol and 40% water.

Didn't use it on any acrylic, though....

Dave
Gee, I hope it was the cheap stuff!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas View Post
Dave, weíre talking here about the use of solvents specifically on acrylic canopies. And the only alcohol that is safe to use on acrylic is isopropyl alcohol. I donít know what Vans has on their website but if they are saying that denatured alcohol/methylated spirits is safe to use on acrylic canopies then they are totally misinformed.
Sniped from the canopy section in Section 5 of the construction manual
(you can access the entire document HERE)

For general cleaning use Dawn dishwashing liquid or equivalent and water followed by a clear water rinse. To prevent water spots,
blow-dry with compressed air or wipe dry with soft cotton flannel. Plexus, Sprayaway #848 Industrial Plastic Cleaner, or All Clear
can also be used for day to day cleaning. Grease, oil, tape residue, etc. may best be removed with mineral spirits, refined kerosene,
white gasoline, naphtha, or isopropyl alcohol. Wash approved solvents off the canopy with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. It is
best to avoid using products on your canopy that are not specifically formulated for acrylics such as Rain-X or Lemon Pledge.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 07-21-2019, 10:25 PM

Wink Keep it simple, Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Grease, oil, tape residue, etc. may best be removed with mineral spirits, refined kerosene,
white gasoline, naphtha, or isopropyl alcohol
Scott, Vans is just confusing builders with this type of information. It may be technically correct...but it confuses the layman builder. You say “mineral spirits” and they buy methylated spirits. You say “isopropyl alcohol” and they buy rubbing alcohol which may be a blend of isopropyl and ethanol alcohol (or 100% ethanol). Then they destroy their canopies. Cut out all the options....just tell them to use kerosene. It’s cheap, readily available everywhere, and virtually impossible to confuse with other dangerous solvents.
You’re also telling builders to use “white gasoline”. Google “white gasoline” and you’ll find that it means different things in different countries. As I said you’re confusing builders. Keep it simple.

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 07-21-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:51 AM

Yes, the alcohol that is in your favorite tipple! Around 90% of methylated spirits is ethanol; so it's incredibly strong. But before anyone gets ideas, read on. The main additive is 10% methanol, which is highly toxic, but it may also include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone or other substances.
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!