- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Instrument Flight Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaHawk View Post
I made sure to disengage the autopilot before crossing the FAF, although I did re-engage it after the FAF on two of the approaches.
e.
What was the point of the disengagement/re-engagement?
I am surprised the examiner allowed you so much autopilot use.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:31 AM

Great write up and congratulations! I completed my first 20 hours of 'primary instrument training' in my VFR RV6 to save cost. During the first few hours I wasn't sure I would be able to do it but soon learned what it took to keep the right side up. I then switched to an IFR equipped C172 and was amazed at how long I could look at a map and the plane wouldn't change altitude or roll off course!
Congratulations again and be safe!

RV6 built, flown, and sold
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor
EAA Flight Advisor, CFII
Air Traffic Controller
Old 12-27-2017, 08:43 AM

Recently flew my IFR check up here in the Seattle area... My DPE actually allowed use of the autopilot throughout the entire flight, requiring only one approach to be hand flown.

Biggest reason to use the autopilot as much as possible is to show proficiency with the equipment available to you within your aircraft. Secondary to that is the use of good resource management for the busy phases of flight.

Scott's plane is definitely a beautiful example of what can be done in RV's! Now, if I could only convince him to do my panel for me.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
What was the point of the disengagement/re-engagement?
I am surprised the examiner allowed you so much autopilot use.
The disengagement/reengagement was due to the internal thought conflict set up by my CFIIs when one told me that I wouldn't be allowed to use the A/P and the others said to go ahead and use it.
RV-14 N144P (Empennage complete, wings almost complete, fuselage almost complete)
#866 on the Van's RV-7 hobbs
#6563 on Van's generic hobbs
Arlington, WA
Old 12-28-2017, 06:35 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaHawk View Post
All told, I probably used the autopilot for about 50% of my checkride.
Not fair!!!

(IFR rating 1992, steam, no GPS, ADF approaches, no moving map--auto-pilot? What's an auto-pilot? Flew the entire checkride on partial panel...)

Congrats on your new rating!

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 12-28-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:13 AM

Default “Required” equipment for IFR training/check-ride

When I do my IFR training I’d also like to use my own airplane to do my training in. My question is regarding “required” equipment. I’m planning on installing a complete Garmin panel with all the bells and whistles which will include one of the GTN series radios (625, 635, or 650) depending on what’s “required” for IFR flight training and check-out. As I’m sure you guys know, the 625 is only a GPS based navigator where as the 650 has a built-in VOR/Loc/Glide-slope capabilities. Even though having all of the bells and whistles that the 650 offers would be nice, I think I’d be very happy with only having the GPS based navigational abilities that the 625 offers.....plus, the 625 is much more affordable that the 650. So, my question is, is it “required” to do your training and check-ride in an aircraft that has the ability/equipment to perform VOR/Loc/Glide-slope navigation/approaches as would be the case if the aircraft were equipped with equipment such as a 650, or is it acceptable to do your training/check-ride in an aircraft that only has GPS based navigational/approach abilities such as what the 625 offers?? Oh, BTW, if I’m able to go with the 625 I’ll have two stand-alone COM’s, so I won’t need the COM features that the 635 or 650 offer.

Thanks
Mark
Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
When I do my IFR training I’d also like to use my own airplane to do my training in. My question is regarding “required” equipment. I’m planning on installing a complete Garmin panel with all the bells and whistles which will include one of the GTN series radios (625, 635, or 650) depending on what’s “required” for IFR flight training and check-out. As I’m sure you guys know, the 625 is only a GPS based navigator where as the 650 has a built-in VOR/Loc/Glide-slope capabilities. Even though having all of the bells and whistles that the 650 offers would be nice, I think I’d be very happy with only having the GPS based navigational abilities that the 625 offers.....plus, the 625 is much more affordable that the 650. So, my question is, is it “required” to do your training and check-ride in an aircraft that has the ability/equipment to perform VOR/Loc/Glide-slope navigation/approaches as would be the case if the aircraft were equipped with equipment such as a 650, or is it acceptable to do your training/check-ride in an aircraft that only has GPS based navigational/approach abilities such as what the 625 offers?? Oh, BTW, if I’m able to go with the 625 I’ll have two stand-alone COM’s, so I won’t need the COM features that the 635 or 650 offer.

Thanks
Mark
Believe it or not, you can legally fly IFR with something like Sporty's SP-400 handheld. You certify it by performing and logging the appropriate VOR checks. Keep in mind, legal and safe are two different things. But for training and your check ride, that might just work for your.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-28-2017, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reply Bill. So the question is, with the GPS knowing where the VOR is, can you “simulate” the VOR navigation/approaches that’s required for IFR training or do you actually have to have a “NAV” radio that’s actually receiving a radio signal when performing those maneuvers?
Old 12-28-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
Thanks for the reply Bill. So the question is, with the GPS knowing where the VOR is, can you “simulate” the VOR navigation/approaches that’s required for IFR training or do you actually have to have a “NAV” radio that’s actually receiving a radio signal when performing those maneuvers?
You need a Nav radio. You can't legally fly a VOR, LOC or ILS without one. On a VOR approach you can use the IFR GPS for course guidance up until the FAF beyond which you have to switch to the VOR as the NAV source. Trying to simulate it the entire way would only develop bad habits IMO.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 12-28-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 AM

Thanks Todd....very interesting. So, once again, does this also hold true during your “training” or more the fact of actual real-world usage when you’re flying a VOR, LOC or ILS approach? Once again I’m only trying to determine as to what equipment is going to be required by an instructor and or DPE, not so much as what’ll be required to fly a VOR, LOC or ILS approach in a real-world environment. If an actual NAV radio is going to be required during my “training and check-ride”, then it’s looking like I may be forced to install equipment such as a GTN 650 in my airplane to be able use it during my IFR training....but I’d sure like to only install the 625.

Last edited by Mark33 : 12-28-2017 at 09:07 AM.