What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN 200 music quality hints

BruceMe

Well Known Member
So all this crimping on the other thread is really just so I can hear tunes on the way to OSH :cool:

...so last night, I finally got it pinned in and sorted some basic wiring issues (receiver output doesn't do music). But now I have quality issues.

I wired the music inputs using a normal/cheap 1mm audio jack. I have some squelch settings to tune, but all in all the actual quality (especially bass) is awful. Has anyone wired this and gotten ok to good audio quality? Or is it my 1995 David Clark mono headsets? The audio cable is the normal with each channel's low as the shielding, I'm going to try making an adapter that shields the low with both channels.

I was contemplating installing a remote mount Bluetooth receiver with short leads to the GTN 200... anyone done that either?

I'm assuming you mean the GTR-200, not GTN, in which case mine works very well and I am impressed with the audio quality - it is only limited by the headset quality. But since I splurged and bought I lightspeed zulu with bluetooth, I usually just use the bluetooth now for music. I would try with a high quality headset before anything else.

Chris

Last edited:
I'm sure you didn't mean "1 mm" jack.
If you have mono headphones, how are you handling stereo outputs? Does it sound better if you just listen to one channel?

I also have the GTR-200 using my Zulu Lightspeed and the stereo sound is amazing. I assume that using an old mono headset is the issue.

"Receiver Out" is not for music.

A mono headset will work but only mono audio will be heard and of course you dont get the 3D audio from the GTR-200. It will detect a mono headset and automatically switch into mono operation.

I assume he means the 3.5mm jack and plug.

You can wire the music low's together, this is not an issue. You are trying to listen to stereo music through a mono headset so the bass will not sound good at all. I think it's your headset.

Have you also set the gains on the "audio test" page? Here you can adjust the levels of the audio. If it's too high it'll be distorted and sound bad.

A bluetooth device wont solve your issue either. It's just a stereo signal going into the GTR-200 on the same inputs and the output will still be the same in your mono headset.

I'd start by trying a different headset. A stereo headset.

Last edited:
Back