What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding a G5 and Trutrak Vizion 385 to a steam-gauges panel

newt

Well Known Member
Current fit-out:

Steam gauge 6-pack.
GNS430W.
Trutrak Vizion 380 autopilot on one of the GNS430W's serial ports.
Trig TT21 ADS-B-Out on another one of the GNS430W's serial ports.
OBS indicator, also connected to the GNS430W.
Note: no devices connected via ARINC, they're all RS232.

Plan:

Upgrade the autopilot to a 385. Trutrak has already confirmed that it's a $500 changeover.
Connect the 385 to the GNS430W on ARINC instead of RS232.
Replace the steam-driven AH with a Garmin G5.
Connect the G5 to the same ARINC bus as the 430W and Trutrak.
Connect a magnetometer to the G5.

My understanding is that that package will yield:

Heading instead of GPS track on the top of the G5's AH and HSI displays.
A heading bug on the G5 which can be used to control HDG mode on the autopilot.
An altitude bug on the G5 which can be used to control altitude select on the autopilot.
Full VNAV, GPSS, etc comms between the 430W and the autopilot, such that the airplane will fly its own holds, procedure turns, approaches to minimums, etc.

I can't believe that I'm the first person to have installed a G5, 430W and TruTrak 385 together.

This is a step in the journey towards converting my night VFR RV-6 to IFR. Hoping to get some wisdom from the crowd about whether my expectations align with reality, and anything else I might have forgotten which I need to accommodate.

Also hoping to have the plan nutted out soon enough that I can acquire the required bill of materials via OSH show specials :)

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

- mark

That setup will work just fine. The G5 will just act as an indicator, but you will want to know what your auto pilot is doing. If you already have a CDI with glideslope, you don't need to add ARINC to the G5, which would require the GAD29. The Vizion 385 will be a great upgrade for you. The G5 will also be very nice. No reason that won't all fit, but you will need to find a mounting place for the GAD29 if you do end up getting that. Btw, the Vizion will require adding 2 wires to one connector on the 430W. The GAD29 will require adding 5 wires to one connector and 2 to another connector. Not a big deal, but think through whether you'll use the GAD29 much or not. I would suggest not as much as you think, since you already have an indicator. You could run the existing serial port to the G5 input for the CDI display on the EFIS screen and that should be enough.

Current fit-out:

Steam gauge 6-pack.
GNS430W.
Trutrak Vizion 380 autopilot on one of the GNS430W's serial ports.
Trig TT21 ADS-B-Out on another one of the GNS430W's serial ports.
OBS indicator, also connected to the GNS430W.
Note: no devices connected via ARINC, they're all RS232.

Plan:

Upgrade the autopilot to a 385. Trutrak has already confirmed that it's a $500 changeover.
Connect the 385 to the GNS430W on ARINC instead of RS232.
Replace the steam-driven AH with a Garmin G5.
Connect the G5 to the same ARINC bus as the 430W and Trutrak.
Connect a magnetometer to the G5.

My understanding is that that package will yield:

Heading instead of GPS track on the top of the G5's AH and HSI displays.
A heading bug on the G5 which can be used to control HDG mode on the autopilot.
An altitude bug on the G5 which can be used to control altitude select on the autopilot.
Full VNAV, GPSS, etc comms between the 430W and the autopilot, such that the airplane will fly its own holds, procedure turns, approaches to minimums, etc.

I can't believe that I'm the first person to have installed a G5, 430W and TruTrak 385 together.

This is a step in the journey towards converting my night VFR RV-6 to IFR. Hoping to get some wisdom from the crowd about whether my expectations align with reality, and anything else I might have forgotten which I need to accommodate.

Also hoping to have the plan nutted out soon enough that I can acquire the required bill of materials via OSH show specials :)

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

- mark

Hello Mark,

There is nothing wrong with your plan (except the RS-232 only), but not sure you will get as much integration as you might like, and you won't get a flight director and the nice autopilot armed and active mode readout on the G5. You also will not get airspeed hold vertical mode with a bug on the G5 airspeed tape or vertical speed mode with a bug on the VSI, and a really nice autopilot control panel with dedicated heading and altitude select knobs (including push-to-sync on both) and the dedicated PIT/VS/IAS/ALT control wheel.

The great ergonomics of using the GMC 307 with so many features including a dedicated APR button to arm for the approach capture has to be experienced to believe.

You might indeed be the first to do this since most installing the G5 with a GNS/GTN that also want an autopilot will achieve the ultimate in integration (and a Flight Director) with this kind of setup. The second G5 is optional.

Again, nothing wrong with sticking to your plan, but before investing more in your existing system that may never achieve the desired level of integration, you might want to at least consider this option. If you are going to be at Oshkosh, please stop by and let us show you this equipment.

4JClWvD0GsgO-VhnzRo7OpjQpNu1-KlASu0MKHSyL7hpDmJQX7dQuTwawEZNz3pWttwGg0sw7aDcv9VyOmr2OhzqI8pxbnUiuAiGGsLCGDEECJzJJsUGApMA0oLeNiRttfVIwQSqYezDiL6oNLdnjLKf_4IAz7mSi88dAqzmYtdarRrVBmiSoM90Z0OsHdxly6ZExvRymWf8nGca5K6NsyPBgQNm7BejkCtTXFVNbfQCuPAlztIBvNJxbG8d4us0T3UjB002rvs6-lB6jzqQmNFrojVar_tOsEz4mxjeJpMKOAe2vL08UUfsLQndRMw7erdZib15YQRBh3m5C4KOshWJRSNtJG3FfIXThy2abUPra5YjL9T8UfJfBbAoRVhvW-iAKzYQlVD20e78FlPuECE9N2apAkLHXN_yaAb0boZx9RMpQ_w5sZALoV1uVFVvNQ9xcsHw6MK7FaqzoqM83Mx1ZIbLoRzw5kBaRyL9FTc6PRTKA5mY0mMNQJzeg7kfkdRB3AKpUB6T3F6Z4dbcB8cer3q5JkNilJiCCOLP3EhgXQXJCPcks1DZEsFw3kCVU-uqxFW_KyIdFxd8QiQFp5dbrcT64UuMX0sGvuTomMJrOm2cg3c3kwKk=w800

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Back