What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Post questions here for new Garmin Transponders!

Question for Garmin Experts:

Garmin indicates the GTX 345 Transponder is compatible with Foreflight Mobile and using Foreflight enables the use of these features:

- ADS-B Weather
- ADS-B Traffic
- Attitude (AHRS)
- GPS

My question:

Is the Garmin GTX 335 Transponder along with a Garmin GDL 39R or GDL 39D compatible with Foreflight?

Will this configuration (GTX 335 and GDL 39D or R) using Foreflight function as indicated above (ADS-B WX - Traffic, Attitude AHRS and GPS)?

Thank you,

Garmin indicates the GTX 345 Transponder is compatible with Foreflight Mobile and using Foreflight enables the use of these features:

- ADS-B Weather
- ADS-B Traffic
- Attitude (AHRS)
- GPS

My question:

Is the Garmin GTX 335 Transponder along with a Garmin GDL 39R or GDL 39D compatible with Foreflight?

Will this configuration (GTX 335 and GDL 39D or R) using Foreflight function as indicated above (ADS-B WX - Traffic, Attitude AHRS and GPS)?

Thank you,

Hello Charlie,

According to this Foreflight web page, they support interfacing to the Flight Stream 110/210 and GTX 345, but not to the GDL 39.

https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/sections/201102498-Garmin-Garmin-Connext

Not sure why this is the case since the GDL39, GDL39R, and GDL39 3D use the same Connext protocol as the FS 110/210 and GTX 345. Garmin Pilot, the aera 660, and the aera 79X work equally well with all of these devices.

What is even more surprising is that they say they support the GDL39 as a Bluetooth connection to provide GPS position data, but not traffic and weather.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello Charlie,

According to this Foreflight web page, they support interfacing to the Flight Stream 110/210 and GTX 345, but not to the GDL 39.

https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/sections/201102498-Garmin-Garmin-Connext

Not sure why this is the case since the GDL39, GDL39R, and GDL39 3D use the same Connext protocol as the FS 110/210 and GTX 345. Garmin Pilot, the aera 660, and the aera 79X work equally well with all of these devices.

What is even more surprising is that they say they support the GDL39 as a Bluetooth connection to provide GPS position data, but not traffic and weather.

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin Experts,

Thanks for the Foreflight link and the quick response to my questions.

Based on my research, using a Garmin solution, it appears I get the most for my money if I go this route:

- Garmin GTX 335 Transponder (GPS position source is my Garmin 430 W) $2,900.00

-Garmin GDL 39R ADS-B Dual Receiver: $800.00

- Garmin Flight Stream 210: $1,000.00

Approximate total: $4,700.00

While that's a couple hundred dollars less than the Garmin GTX 345, I get the complete Flight Stream 210 capability and can use an Ipad with Foreflight or Garmin Pilot to push flight plans to my Garmin 430 W.

Here's my question:

The literature on the Garmin Flight Stream 210 indicates it has an "Industry-Leading GPS".

Can the GPS on the Flight Stream 210 be used a GPS position source for the Garmin GTX 335, in the same way as a Garmin GPS 20A, if my Garmin 430 W (GPS position source) failed?

Thank you again!

Garmin Experts,

Thanks for the Foreflight link and the quick response to my questions.

Based on my research, using a Garmin solution, it appears I get the most for my money if I go this route:

- Garmin GTX 335 Transponder (GPS position source is my Garmin 430 W) $2,900.00

-Garmin GDL 39R ADS-B Dual Receiver: $800.00

- Garmin Flight Stream 210: $1,000.00

Approximate total: $4,700.00

While that's a couple hundred dollars less than the Garmin GTX 345, I get the complete Flight Stream 210 capability and can use an Ipad with Foreflight or Garmin Pilot to push flight plans to my Garmin 430 W.

Here's my question:

The literature on the Garmin Flight Stream 210 indicates it has an "Industry-Leading GPS".

Can the GPS on the Flight Stream 210 be used a GPS position source for the Garmin GTX 335, in the same way as a Garmin GPS 20A, if my Garmin 430 W (GPS position source) failed?

Thank you again!

Hello Charlie,

More good questions.

The Flight Stream 210 has internal attitude and pressure sensors, but doesn't have an internal GPS, and can't be used as your rule compliant position source for the GTX 335.

The Flight Stream 210 does pass along the GPS data from your 430W to any external displays connected to the Flight Stream 210 (when your 430W is available).

Thanks,
Steve

From the GTX 3x5 Install Manual: there is a nice listing / description of the Garmin Order numbers for the different version of the units. In each case, a configuration module is included.

I will be ordering the optional Pressure Sensor that also includes a configuration module. Does this mean that I will end up with an "extra" config module that I will not be using? Or will there be a GTX 3x5 ordering option that deletes the config module and replaces it with the pressure sensor option?

From the GTX 3x5 Install Manual: there is a nice listing / description of the Garmin Order numbers for the different version of the units. In each case, a configuration module is included.

I will be ordering the optional Pressure Sensor that also includes a configuration module. Does this mean that I will end up with an "extra" config module that I will not be using? Or will there be a GTX 3x5 ordering option that deletes the config module and replaces it with the pressure sensor option?

Hello Noel,

You are correct that all of the GTX 335/345 transponder bundles come with an installation kit complete with configuration module. There is no ordering option to order a transponder without the configuration module.

The optional pressure sensor module (altitude encoder) kit, part number 011-03080-00, includes a 4 conductor harness that plugs into the same 4 pins on the P3251 connector as the configuration module in an installation without the pressure sensor. The pressure sensor module incorporates a memory module that performs the same function as the configuration module.

Thanks,
Steve

The Garmin 345 currently supports Foreflight and Garmin Pilot. Will it support other programs such as FltPlanGo and WingXPro7 in the near future?

Duane

This is just an FYI to the group...

The new Garmin GTX 345 is shipping and one has shown up in the local avionics shop.

Question:

Any chance of doing a direct wire to a 696 for traffic and weather?

Thanks -

Hello Alex,

As you probably know, the 696 communicates over RS-232 to the dual frequency GDL 39 ADS-B traffic and weather receiver.

Fortunately, the GDL 39 does everything the GTX 345 dual frequency ADS-B receiver does. The GTX 345 doesn't use the same traffic and weather protocol as the GDL 39, and the 696 can't communicate with the GTX 345.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Alex,

As you probably know, the 696 communicates over RS-232 to the dual frequency GDL 39 ADS-B traffic and weather receiver.

Fortunately, the GDL 39 does everything the GTX 345 dual frequency ADS-B receiver does. The GTX 345 doesn't use the same traffic and weather protocol as the GDL 39, and the 696 can't communicate with the GTX 345.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve - thanks.

Garmin Experts (Steve),

I'm trying to decide between these two options to gain 2020 compliance:

1. Garmin GTX 335 All-inclusive 1090 MHz ADS-B ?Out? Transponder ($2,995 retail) connected with a Garmin GDL39R ($799 retail). Approximate total = $3,794.

vs

2. Garmin GTX 345 All-in-one Transponder Solution for ADS-B ?Out? and ?In? ($4,995 retail).

A retail Garmin dealer indicates the following:

Garmin GDL39 - "Note 2: GDL 39 can only receive ADS-B information in the USA."

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/gld39r10-05503.php?clickkey=856371

Here are my questions:

In the retailers reference to the GDL39. Does (GDL 39 can only receive ADS-B information in the USA) it mean when flying outside of the USA the GDL39R will not provide traffic alerts to a compatible Garmin device (i.e. Garmin Pilot) for other aircraft within proximity using a 1090 ES transponder?

Does the Garmin GTX 345 allow the user to receive ADS-B information outside of the USA provided that country has the ADS-B infrastructure is in place and supports the territory you're operating from? (For example, some locations in Canada, Mexico and/or the Bahamas').

I am trying to understand the differences and the similarities between the GDL39 ADS-B dual receiver and the dual receiver ADS-B In receiver that lives inside the GTX345.

Are there any differences?

Thanks again!

Garmin Experts (Steve),

I'm trying to decide between these two options to gain 2020 compliance:

1. Garmin GTX 335 All-inclusive 1090 MHz ADS-B ?Out? Transponder ($2,995 retail) connected with a Garmin GDL39R ($799 retail). Approximate total = $3,794.

vs

2. Garmin GTX 345 All-in-one Transponder Solution for ADS-B ?Out? and ?In? ($4,995 retail).

A retail Garmin dealer indicates the following:

Garmin GDL39 - "Note 2: GDL 39 can only receive ADS-B information in the USA."

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/gld39r10-05503.php?clickkey=856371

Here are my questions:

In the retailers reference to the GDL39. Does (GDL 39 can only receive ADS-B information in the USA) it mean when flying outside of the USA the GDL39R will not provide traffic alerts to a compatible Garmin device (i.e. Garmin Pilot) for other aircraft within proximity using a 1090 ES transponder?

Does the Garmin GTX 345 allow the user to receive ADS-B information outside of the USA provided that country has the ADS-B infrastructure is in place and supports the territory you're operating from? (For example, some locations in Canada, Mexico and/or the Bahamas').

I am trying to understand the differences and the similarities between the GDL39 ADS-B dual receiver and the dual receiver ADS-B In receiver that lives inside the GTX345.

Thanks again!

Hello Charlie,

Good questions.

Does (GDL 39 can only receive ADS-B information in the USA) it mean when flying outside of the USA the GDL39R will not provide traffic alerts to a compatible Garmin device (i.e. Garmin Pilot) for other aircraft within proximity using a 1090 ES transponder?
This vendor is probably referring to the fact that the ADS-B ground station network and FIS-B is something unique to the U.S. You should see any 1090ES aircraft air-to-air anywhere in the world, similar to how you can now see every airliner that goes by (since they are 1090ES). The GDL 39 will receive traffic and weather from any of the U.S. network of ground stations, including the stations planned for Mexico.

Same answer as for the GDL 39.

From an operational point of view, there are few differences between a non-certified GDL 39 and a certified GTX 345. The only differences are driven by the minimum operational performance standards (MOPS) called out by the TSOs that the GTX 345 must meet. For example, the certified ADS-B receivers are required to reject some non-compliant traffic targets, such as those that are transmitting SDA=0. The GDL 39 does not adhere to that limitation and will essentially provide the connected display with all traffic targets regardless of their compliance status.

Obviously as we get closer to 2020, more aircraft will be providing compliant ADS-B Out, so the traffic differences between the two should be indistinguishable.

Thanks,
Steve

Charlie, do you have a certified GPS now in your RV8 to feed lat long to the 335? If not then the 335 with the GPS is $3795. Gets close to a wash with an easier install.;)

Hello Charlie,

Good questions.

This vendor is probably referring to the fact that the ADS-B ground station network and FIS-B is something unique to the U.S. You should see any 1090ES aircraft air-to-air anywhere in the world, similar to how you can now see every airliner that goes by (since they are 1090ES). The GDL 39 will receive traffic and weather from any of the U.S. network of ground stations, including the stations planned for Mexico.

Same answer as for the GDL 39.

From an operational point of view, there are few differences between a non-certified GDL 39 and a certified GTX 345. The only differences are driven by the minimum operational performance standards (MOPS) called out by the TSOs that the GTX 345 must meet. For example, the certified ADS-B receivers are required to reject some non-compliant traffic targets, such as those that are transmitting SDA=0. The GDL 39 does not adhere to that limitation and will essentially provide the connected display with all traffic targets regardless of their compliance status.

Obviously as we get closer to 2020, more aircraft will be providing compliant ADS-B Out, so the traffic differences between the two should be indistinguishable.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks again Steve for helping me understand so I can make a more informed decision.

Charlie, do you have a certified GPS now in your RV8 to feed lat long to the 335? If not then the 335 with the GPS is $3795. Gets close to a wash with an easier install.;)

John,

I have a Garmin 430 W as a certified position source. I like it too.

I originally was going to get a Garmin GTX 330 ES to replace my GTX 327.

AHARS?

Hey G3Expert...

Looking through the GTX 345 Pilot Manual, I see reference to an AHARS unit built into the 345. Will the 345 push attitude info out over Bluetooth to an iPad running Garmin Pilot, to provide attitude reference in the Synthetic Vision feature of the app?

Thanks.

Hey G3Expert...

Looking through the GTX 345 Pilot Manual, I see reference to an AHARS unit built into the 345. Will the 345 push attitude info out over Bluetooth to an iPad running Garmin Pilot, to provide attitude reference in the Synthetic Vision feature of the app?

Thanks.

Hello MrMorden,

Yes it will. The pitch/roll offset calibration for the GTX 345 attitude sensors is a very simple operation after you have it installed in your panel.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve...

I currently have a GTX 327 installed in my Flight Design CTSW. If I ungrade to a GTX 345:

1) The GPS antenna is included (GA-35 IIRC), correct?

2) Could I use my existing Mode C antenna for the transponder component?

3) Do I need a specific ADS-B antenna? If so, can you point me to a Garmin model?

4) Will I need a new tray? Included?

5) Is the altitude encoder included, will the one I'm using with the GTX 327 work, or do I need to buy one? Model?

6) I am planning to display traffic/weather on my iPad, but I also have a 496 installed...can traffic/weather display on a 496?

Thanks!

Steve...

I currently have a GTX 327 installed in my Flight Design CTSW. If I ungrade to a GTX 345:

My GTX 345 was ordered with the antenna.

3) Do I need a specific ADS-B antenna? If so, can you point me to a Garmin model? I used my existing transponder antenna.

My tray was included but is a little less than 2" deeper than the GTX 327

5) Is the altitude encoder included, will the one I'm using with the GTX 327 work, or do I need to buy one? Model?

6) I am planning to display traffic/weather on my iPad, but I also have a 496 installed...can traffic/weather display on a 496?

Thanks!

That is all I can help you with at the moment. Still working on some issues with the rest of the system.

Steve...

The GTX 345 with GPS bundle includes the 010-01216-41 GTX 345 with built-in GPS and installation kit (complete with rack and connector kits) and the 013-00235-00 GA 35 WAAS antenna. You would need to verify with your dealer that they are selling the bundle with antenna, and not just the unit without antenna. I checked with one of the online dealers who sells this system and they confirmed they were selling the bundle with antenna even though this wasn't clear on their website.

They can also sell just the unit without antenna if you already have the antenna.

More than likely. There is a list of compatible transponder antennas in the installation manual.

3) Do I need a specific ADS-B antenna? If so, can you point me to a Garmin model?

The GTX 345 does not require a separate ADS-B antenna. The single transponder antenna both provides ADS-B Out (1090 Mhz) and ADS-B In (978/1090 Mhz).

Yes, the bundle includes the required new tray, backplate, and connectors.

The altitude encoder that worked with your GTX 327 should work.

The optional 011-03080-00 built in altitude encoder is also available for a list price of $279. If you have ever had to calibrate several altitude points for an encoder against an altitude test set, you will like the one integrated with the GTX 345. The front panel display and controls make this really simple. Just select a pressure altitude, set the test set to this altitude, and adjust the encoder reading to match. A minimum of 3 calibration points is required.

If you install a GTX 335 (not GTX 345), it supports TIS-A traffic using the "TIS-A OUT FMT" RS-232 output format which supports TIS-A traffic on GPSMAP 396/496/695/696 (but not weather).

If you install a GTX 345, you cannot connect a 396/496 since the GTX 345 only supports ADS-B traffic and weather, and the 396/496 do not support this interface. The aera 660/795/796 support full ADS-B traffic and weather when used with a GTX 345 or a GDL 39/39R.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, exactly the info I need!

I'm considering replacing my 496 with a 660 at the same time, but I need to wait until the Airgizmos dock is out for it. Airgizmos states that dock will be a direct replacement for my 496 dock, with the dimensions and mounting being identical.

Questions for the g3xpert:

I will be installing the GAE pressure sensor module to the back of the GTX 345. Section 3.10 of the Installation Manual talks about the input source priority for different input devices when attached. However, no mention is made if the GAE is attached. The GAE will be the only pressure sense device that will be used in my aircraft. See also the list of altitude input devices in Section 5.5...no mention of the GAE.

Section 6.8 talks about sensors, and Altitude Source 1 and 2. Again, the GAE module is not listed.

In this section is Figure 6-25. Internal ALT Encoder Installed (yes / no). Will answering yes at this point eliminate any need to be concerned with the above questions?

Again, in Section 5.5, the possibilities for altitude resolution is either 25 feet or 100 feet. Which is selected (automagically?) when using the GTX option?

Thanks again...

I don't have a G3X display. Until I upgrade or add a G3X GDU could the GTN 650 alone work with the GTX 23 for the ADS-B 2020 mandate? With the installed GTX 327 the GTN 650 can remotly control the Transponder, is it the same with a GTX 23? The dealer gave me the impression that the G3X system/display is required.

The GTX23ES can only be controlled by a G3X system, the GTX33ES can be controlled by the 650/750 but its about 2K more than the 23 :eek:

Questions for the g3xpert:

I will be installing the GAE pressure sensor module to the back of the GTX 345. Section 3.10 of the Installation Manual talks about the input source priority for different input devices when attached. However, no mention is made if the GAE is attached. The GAE will be the only pressure sense device that will be used in my aircraft. See also the list of altitude input devices in Section 5.5...no mention of the GAE.

Section 6.8 talks about sensors, and Altitude Source 1 and 2. Again, the GAE module is not listed.

Please contact us at the email shown below and we will make sure you have the information relevant for your installation.

In this section is Figure 6-25. Internal ALT Encoder Installed (yes / no). Will answering yes at this point eliminate any need to be concerned with the above questions?
Fortunately, the setup is quite simple with the GAE attached to the back of the GTX 345. Steps 1 and 2 are actually optional (may be left to NONE) since the GTX will automatically use the GAE if enabled.
1. Set ALTITUDE SOURCE 1 to ALT ENC
2. Set ALTITUDE SOURCE 2 to NONE
On the Internal Alt Encoder Installed page:
3. Set INSTALLED to YES
4. Set CEILING to maximum altitude you wish to use the GAE up to 30,000 ft.
5. Set the number of TEST POINTS to a minimum of 3. You will connect a test set to calibrate the GAE to match your calibrated altimeter at each of these pressure altitudes.

Again, in Section 5.5, the possibilities for altitude resolution is either 25 feet or 100 feet. Which is selected (automagically?) when using the GTX option?

Yes, you are correct. 25 ft altitude reporting is automatically used when the GAE is installed.

Thanks,
Steve

I don't have a G3X display. Until I upgrade or add a G3X GDU could the GTN 650 alone work with the GTX 23 for the ADS-B 2020 mandate? With the installed GTX 327 the GTN 650 can remotly control the Transponder, is it the same with a GTX 23? The dealer gave me the impression that the G3X system/display is required.

Hi Kent,

Walt is correct that the GTX23ES is designed to connect to a GSU25 ADAHRS in a G3X/G3X Touch system, so can't be used without one of these systems.

The GTX23ES is $2,199, which is a great price, but a quick search turns up street prices under $2,900 for either the panel mount GTX 335 or remote mount GTX 335R which will interface to your GTX 650 and provide ADS-B Out.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

I got my new GTX-345 up and running. Love it. Seeing all of the traffic is eye opening (Pun intended). I have it paired up with a GNS 430W and the Flight stream 210.

Only bump in the process was figuring out my com port on the 430W was inop for receive. I could receive flight plans on the IPad, but I could not send them to the GMS. The 430 also had some other minor issues, so off to Garmin for refurb (Ouch$).

I did go with the Garmin pressure transducer for the encoder. My EFIS was feeding the previous transponder and I wanted to free up a com port for other things.

Thanks to the Garmin experts and Stark Avionics for help trouble shooting.

I did go with the Garmin pressure transducer for the encoder. My EFIS was feeding the previous transponder and I wanted to free up a com port for other things.

Thanks to the Garmin experts and Stark Avionics for help trouble shooting.

Don't forget, if the encoder or altimeter has been replaced, a Data Correspondence Check must be accomplished to ensure the altitude data transmitted to ATC corresponds to within 125 feet of the altimeter normally used to maintain flight altitude per CFR 91.217.

With an EFIS feeding the xpdr this data always matches, now with a seperate encoder both units (alt & encoder) must be checked to be sure they match (makes the IFR cert a bit more trouble).

Thanks Walt. I have the IFR cert schedule as soon as the radio gets back from Garmin. **** poor planning on my part, just had the cert done in March.

Don't forget, if the encoder or altimeter has been replaced, a Data Correspondence Check must be accomplished to ensure the altitude data transmitted to ATC corresponds to within 125 feet of the altimeter normally used to maintain flight altitude per CFR 91.217.

With an EFIS feeding the xpdr this data always matches, now with a seperate encoder both units (alt & encoder) must be checked to be sure they match (makes the IFR cert a bit more trouble).

I finished the install of a Garmin GTX 345 on my RV8 equipped with an updated Garmin GNS 430 W and an AFS 4500.

I replaced a Garmin GTX 327.

I'm using the same altitude source for the 345 that I was using on the 327, specifically, pin 13 from the AFS 4500 which I believe is an ICARUS device. My GTX 345 RS232 port 3 for altitude is configured in accordance with the installation manual (ALT FMT 1-100).

When I set my EFIS barometer to 29.92, the altitude on the EFIS and the GTX match exactly, as they should.

Question: Do I need to have a shop conduct a Data Correspondence Check?

My last check (GTX 327) was conducted February 2014.

Thank you!

Hi. I see a 345 Remote transponder, could these transponder be controled from the g3x GDU370 or only on GTN?s?

Hello Hernan,

Yes, as previously announced we plan to support both panel mount and remote mount versions of both the GTX 335R and GTX 345R in Q3 of this year for G3X and G3X Touch systems. It takes a great deal of software development and testing for both systems to offer this capability. We have both G3X and G3X Touch flight test aircraft equipped with these systems now.

While your G3X system will indeed support remote controlling a GTX 345R transponder from the PFD, note that we don't currently plan to support the ADS-B receiver provided by the GTX 345 for a G3X (GDU 37X) system. We will, of course, continue to support the use of a GDL 39/39 3D/39R dual frequency ADS-B receiver for these systems which provides a similar function.

As such, the GTX 335/335R probably makes the most sense for G3X systems (or continue to use the GTX23ES). G3X aircraft choosing to install any of these new GTX 3X5 transponders may also install the internal GPS option and use this in lieu of the GPS 20A (if desired) for 2020 ADS-B Out compliance.

For G3X Touch systems, we plan to also support the ADS-B receiver provided by the GTX 345/345R (also in Q3) for those customers that prefer to install a GTX 345/345R instead of a transponder and a GDL39R. These customers may also install a GTX 345/345R with GPS option if they prefer which will perform the same functions as a GTX23ES/GDL39R/GPS20A.

If your system also has a GTN 6XX/7XX, a single ethernet connection from the GTX 345/345R to the GTN provides the ADS-B Out position data from the GTN to the transponder, and the transponder provides ADS-B traffic and weather data back to the GTN. Since the GTN doesn't interface with a GDL39, having this new method of providing ADS-B traffic and weather to the GTN in an experimental aircraft is an added benefit of installing a GTX 345/345R.

A GTX 345/345R will also provide traffic and weather to a GNS 4XXW/5XXW.

In a G3X Touch system, a GTX 345/345R can provide hardwired ADS-B traffic and weather to up to 3 GDU 4XX displays and to one or two GTN 6XX/7XX (or GNS 4XXW/5XXW).

Thanks,
Steve

I finished the install of a Garmin GTX 345 on my RV8 equipped with an updated Garmin GNS 430 W and an AFS 4500.

Charlie, are you using the AF4500 to display traffic and weather from the GTX345, and how has it been working? Or are you only feeding the 430W? I'm considering the same transponder swap for my AF4500-equipped panel, but when I checked in with both Garmin and AFS, they hadn't heard of anyone flying the combination, and weren't certain it would work at all for display.

Off-topic, my other option is Freeflight connected to the AFS (which is verified to work), but I haven't yet determined if the Freeflight will feed G3X Touch, should that be the direction a future panel update takes me.

I'm using the same altitude source for the 345 that I was using on the 327, specifically, pin 13 from the AFS 4500 which I believe is an ICARUS device. My GTX 345 RS232 port 3 for altitude is configured in accordance with the installation manual (ALT FMT 1-100).

When I set my EFIS barometer to 29.92, the altitude on the EFIS and the GTX match exactly, as they should.

Question: Do I need to have a shop conduct a Data Correspondence Check?

My last check (GTX 327) was conducted February 2014.

Thank you!

No data correspondence check required as you did not change the altimter or encoder (one in the same with an efis), however you do need to have a 91.413 transponder check done.

Charlie, are you using the AF4500 to display traffic and weather from the GTX345, and how has it been working?

No. I don't think the Garmin GTX 345 can interface that way with the AFS 4500. Maybe Rob Hickman or his staff at AFS could answer that question.

However, I understand the GTX 330 offers a Traffic Information Services (TIS) interface when connected to the the AFS 4500. It requires connection between GTX 330 serial port #1 to the AFS 4500 EFIS serial port #2.

I digress.

Or are you only feeding the 430W?

My GTX 345 is wired to my Garmin GNS 430 W and I should see traffic and WX but honestly when I flew yesterday I didn't think to look for traffic on the 430 screen.

The Bluetooth connection between my GTX 345 and Apple Ipad Mini running Foreflight works well. It's really surprising to look at Foreflight and see how much air traffic is out there around you that I can't actually see when scanning outside.

I have a Garmin Aera 660 coming. Looking forward to testing that out as well.

I'm considering the same transponder swap for my AF4500-equipped panel, but when I checked in with both Garmin and AFS, they hadn't heard of anyone flying the combination, and weren't certain it would work at all for display.

Off-topic, my other option is Freeflight connected to the AFS (which is verified to work), but I haven't yet determined if the Freeflight will feed G3X Touch, should that be the direction a future panel update takes me.

Freeflight was an option I consider as well. I choose Garmin because I too I'm seriously considering an eventual change from the AFS 4500 to the Garmin G3X Touch. The decision to get the Garmin GTX 345 now was based on that and a couple of other things.

1. Foreflight
2. I could get all the benefits of ADSB in/out and still be able to interface with a G3X down the road (3rd quarter).
3. All-in-one.

I did not want a remote transponder. I like my transponder right there in the panel where I can readily push the buttons. I'm thankful Garmin offered this solution. I swapped a GTX 327 for a GTX 345. They look almost exactly the same except the screen on the GTX 345 is nicer in my opinion.

I really like that I only need one transponder antenna with the GTX 345. That one antenna transmits and receives ADSB. Pretty cool.

Had I gone for the GTX 335 and the GDL 39R solution I would have needed a receiver antenna for the GDL 39R.

Last edited:
GTX 345 Bluetooth Pairing

Hey Garmin Experts,
Installing the GTX 345. It has no Bluetooth function under the System(SYS) Menu group even though it is enabled in the installation configuration.

Also, the GTN will not allow interface configuration of RS-232 GTX w/TIS+ #1.

Where did I go wrong?

Kent

Hey Garmin Experts,
Installing the GTX 345. It has no Bluetooth function under the System(SYS) Menu group even though it is enabled in the installation configuration.

Also, the GTN will not allow interface configuration of RS-232 GTX w/TIS+ #1.

Where did I go wrong?

Kent

Hello Kent,

For a GTX 345 not being controlled by a GTN, the "Bluetooth ON" selection on the system page is the 4th page down just past "Messages".

For a GTX 345 controlled by a GTN (V6.11 or newer GTN software), the Connext Setup page on the GTN supports the addition and management of Bluetooth paired devices for the GTX 345. Page 15-48 of the Rev. K GTN 6XX Pilot Guide provides an explanation of this feature.

The GTX 345 uses RS-232 "REMOTE FMT 1" for control via the GTN. The GTX 335 supports TIS-A traffic, but the GTX 345 does not since it supports ADS-B traffic.

An Ethernet (HSDB) connection between the GTN and GTX 345 allows the GTN to both send ADS-B+ GPS position data to the GTX 345 and receive ADS-B traffic and weather.

Please contact us directly if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Once you have the gtn and gtx talking correctly you will pair the bluetooth of the gtx through the connext page in the gtn. Seems a little backwards i know, and you don't want to know how long it took me to figure that little one out since it's not spelled out anywhere in the gtx manual.

Is there a minimum hardware/software revision needed for the GNS430W to work with a GTX345? If so, what is involved in getting it updated?

Thanks! Larry

Larry,

Yes software. I removed my GNS 430W and brought it to a Garmin Dealer. I explained I was installing the Garmin GTX345 Transponder and needed the most recent software update so my 430 would talk to my 345. They had done a few GTX345 installs and in addition to the software update (I think version 5.30V) they also configured my 430 to interface with my 345.

Last edited:
GTX 345 software updates

I purchased & installed the GTX 345 in Nov 2016. At the time I was told that we home builders could not perform any software updates to the 345, only dealers could do it. Has that changed?

I could not find on the Garmin website what the current software version is. In my 345 I have v2.03 XPDR, 2.02 ADSB & 6.0 GPS. I do not no if these have been updated or if still current.

Steve or anyone, is my unit current? If not, do you know if Garmin will be at the AOPA fly-in at the end of April in Camarillo, CA & be performing updates if I bring the unit to them?

Last edited:
If one gets the GTX 345 with GPS - can that GPS be used as a source for other devices - specifically I was wanting to now if it can be used by my 406 ELT as a GPS source?

Back