- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-17-2017, 01:25 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I think he wrote '1/4 inch' on the dipstick, not 1/4 quart.
What's missing is the fuel flow information. How far (in EGT degrees) rich of peak are you running?
Yes I gave it in inches, but I think 1/4 inch is less than 1/2 quart.

I don't know the EGT readings ROP since the CHTs rapidly rise when I attempt to lean. As others have recommended, I'm running pretty close to full rich at the moment.

Assuming the Floscan calibration is correct, at one typical sample point I'm showing 11.7 gph at 2510 rpm, and a DA of 6700 ft. (4360 ft actual). CHTs range from 380 F to 404 F and IIRC this was with slight leaning. EGTs are all close at 1301 F to 1333 F
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 07-17-2017, 01:34 PM

Unless there's a noticeable loss of power or engine roughness I'd run full rich, to help keep CHT temperatures down. That said, I think your break in is done. Flying out of 400' MSL I have no issues with CHTs, but taking off from meteor crater on a hot day I had to step climb and run full rich and CHTs were still over 410F.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up Much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
Thanks Paul... it's nice to get some details, and it says my engine is probably already broken in

The wheel pants on or off has always confused me a bit, especially when Vans Flight Test section in the instructions specifically mentions flying pantless with new engines. Opinion seems divided when I ask others.

I like your logic on cooling, and Mondays breakfast for 3 local newly made RV-6A's has been monsoon postponed - so an oil change and pant fitting will occur before the next test flight. I'll also repeat a compression test and timing check.

I'll report the flight test results later in the week....
Flew to breakfast with two other local newly minted RV-6A's.

The wheel pants and fairings made an amazing difference, a lot slower CHT rise in climb to reach 400+ degrees and I could now lean in cruise.

At 10 am after breakfast the air was too turbulent to get good readings - the monsoon storms were starting - so I'll try again over the next few days. First estimate is plus 12 kts and much cooler CHTs.

SO

If you fly Phase I and break-in your new engine where it is hot and high (DA higher than central Oregon) I would say to disregard the Plans Instructions and fly with the pants and gear fairings on.
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 07-20-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Flew to breakfast with two other local newly minted RV-6A's.

The wheel pants and fairings made an amazing difference, a lot slower CHT rise in climb to reach 400+ degrees and I could now lean in cruise.

At 10 am after breakfast the air was too turbulent to get good readings - the monsoon storms were starting - so I'll try again over the next few days. First estimate is plus 12 kts and much cooler CHTs.

SO

If you fly Phase I and break-in your new engine where it is hot and high (DA higher than central Oregon) I would say to disregard the Plans Instructions and fly with the pants and gear fairings on.
Definitely fly with the wheel pants and gear fairings on. 20-years ago, on my 1st flight in SoCAL, I never flew without the gear fairings on but did make the first flight with wheel pants off. Temperatures were high and improvements were made with less drag. I was doing test flying the hottest month of the year.

I am with Paul Dye that they all need to be installed for all of Phase I flying. A local RV-9A was having cooling issues in Phase I. I like Paul, recommended to get the wheel pants on. Temperatures came down with their installation and proper attention to temperatures could now be addressed.

Sounds like your engine is broke in well enough to do what ever is necessary.

I like to run new engines hard when not testing airframe and airspeeds keeping power settings high but not holding same RPM longer than 15-minutes for the first 100-hours. Yes the engine does not need it but it appears to get the rings sealed well with little oil consumption. The last two sets of cylinders (2 different engines) I broke in have had oil consumption in the 30+ hours per quart when I ran them at 75% power or more as much as possible for the 1st 100-hours. Yes there was some flying at less than 65% power but I alway would run hard by myself.

I typically never added any oil between oil changes for the first 100-hours.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Maybe the Vans Flight test instructions are based on cooler, near sea level weather in Oregon, and things can diverge greatly when testing is performed at higher altitude and warmer weather areas of the country?

Right now, I'm 20 F hotter than Portland and 3000 ft higher, and it's a cooler than expected day after thunderstorms during the night.
That makes sense. Out here, for me to run hard, 75% power or more, I was right on the edge of the yellow without pants. The extra drag allowed me to keep pushing on bumpy days. The general "consensus of the local masses" was to run 25 squared, rich, and low.
Cooling in these parts is rarely a concern.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.

Last edited by JonJay : 07-20-2017 at 09:44 AM.