What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 Mag Hole Cover for electronic ignition

flion

Well Known Member
Just curious, because I don't see anything on it in the forums (not the most exhaustive search). I'm installing dual electronic ignition and so I need to install the mag hold cover plates. My engine has the long studs but not the magneto adapters (Barrett tested it with mags and then removed them to ship to me). Would it be better to change the studs for the shorter ones (I think that's my preference unless there are issues I'm unaware of) or get the adapters and use the installed studs? Either way I'll have to order parts but the studs will be cheaper than the adapters (by a lot!) and the installation will look cleaner without the adapters. Am I missing anything?

Remove the studs, trace a magneto gasket on a plate of aluminum, cutout, drill and install with bolts.

Dont forget to dig the magneto drive coupling, gear AND bearing out of the case before you cover it up.

Below is a bad picture of the plate I made. I went the extra step and machined a dish out of it to save a few grams.

bbcro.jpg

Yeah, thanks, I'm going to use the ones supplied from Lightspeed and the toe brackets. But from your photo, it looks like you didn't use the adapters, then, which was my basic question. So that helped, thanks.

OK, I get it now. I'm not sure the toe hold downs will clear the case without the mag spacer though (?) If not, maybe some minor clearancing on the hold downs?

If that all fails and you are forced back to the spacers, then consider these cover plates - very easy to make. Also a cleaner, lighter solution.

Last edited:
Back