What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TMX IO-540

philb

Well Known Member
Friend
This question is really for Mahlon, if he happens to lurk, but if anybody has any insight....

I purchased one of the last of the line TMXIO540 red-golds from mattituck a few years ago, but the material accompanying is really sketchy. I believe the parallel valve 260HPs TMX are best described as a IO540D4A5 equivalent for means of regulatory bulletins, etc, but I can't get confirmation. No idea what kind of components (cylinders), etc. All reference materials gone on internet, and when I contacted Continental, they did not keep any records of the Mattituck builds (surprised me) - if anybody has a similar vintage build and has any confirmatory info would be great

Additionally, I'd like to confirm what kind of test run was typically performed after the build - is an hour cell run standard? I'm planning on first start in a week or so using Mahlon's well described protocol.

Dear Philb

I have the same issue with my TMXIO-360 and Mahlon send me a email that i can use the IO-360M1B reference. So I think you can use these:

All New FAA/PMA Parts In The Standard Version Of All Engines.*
Engine Configurations Easily Customized To What You Want.
Dynamically Balanced Var Crankshaft.
Nickel Carbide Cylinder Bores For Unparalleled Rust Protection Standard On TMX 320 And 360 standard cam Models.
Multiple Internal Improvements That Other Manufacturers Don't Offer.
Engines Configured, Assembled And Tested By The Most Experienced Technicians In The Industry.
Engines Backed By The Reputation And Experience Of Mattituck, A Premiere Engine Overhaul Facility And Industry Leader.
Personalized, Professional Service.
Technical Assistance By Professional And Knowledgeable Staff.
Worldwide Support.
Unsurpassed Quality And Value.
Operator's Manual And Logbooks Supplied With All Engines.
Roller tappet and cam technology available on all Lycoming style engines.
All TMX engines include the REDGOLD performance enhancement process and a three year comprehensive warranty.

Back