What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

That is a sweet panel, although I would have opted for a GRT Mini vs. the mechanical / steampunk AS indicator.

I put the mechanical AS in as a place holder and to give the checkbook a rest :)

I'm waiting to see if anything new is announced at Sun-n-Fun or Osh.

Our G3X Panel

P160329-3-300x225.jpg

My goal for the winter in Florida was to do as much as possible on the panel for the Dream Weaver.
Our Build Log with thirty more photos is just a click away.

Here is my support for the 2 Dynon (com/xpndr) guys. It also adds longitudinal stiffness to the panel with the controls.
url] (72 KB)

Hasi, You almost have it.

On the Tinypics web page, there is the box on the left that says TOOLS. Click on the window that says IMG code for forums and message boards. It automatically copies the code when it blinks.
Then come back to VAF and paste (Hold Ctrl and press V) in the message you are working on.

The code will have the thingys on both ends like this.

[IMG]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also, you can click the "Preview Post" when you're composing VAF forum posts to ensure the post looks like you are expecting before it actually goes live.

forum_post.jpg

Tank you all for your support and your patience! If every one trying to post photos is using up so much space and time like myself, there is a big lack of efficiency. Tomorrow I will try again to upload a picture.

The tough part is finding a good location to host photos. Many of them expire after months or years, leaving posts stuck with broken images. :-(

I have my own website hosting service, so host my photos there. As long as I keep the domain and hosting up to date, the photos remain.

Ideally, VAF would allow image uploading. However, this can be taxing on a web server, for both bandwidth and storage.

Avionics Panel Upgrade

I just completed my avionics panel upgrade and have began test flying. Stein Air did and awesome job building my dual screen IFR G3X Touch panel. The G3X Touch panel is a joy to fly with!

Here are a few photos

IMG_8065.jpg

IMG_8057.jpg

IMG_8062.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

I just completed my avionics panel upgrade and have began test flying. Stein Air did and awesome job building my dual screen IFR G3X Touch panel. The G3X Touch panel is a joy to fly with!

Here are a few photos
IMG_8075.jpg

Very nice panel... and interior! One thing this shows me: I'll be painting my roll bar support black. :)

RV-7A

Cut-outs complete via drill, cutting wheel and uni-bit. The second Dynon SV-1000 will come later when funds permit. Available funds will also dictate whether the right screen will be touch or not. I have it wired up and ready to just plug in when the time comes.

DPGk51nh.jpg

HtSLOqWh.jpg

Last edited:
RV7 with Garmin Touch

This is just your "basic" VFR panel with the following:

Dual 10" touch, G5 backup, GMC307 AP control panel, GMA245 audio panel, dual GTR200 coms, full ADS-B In/Out with GPS20A and GDL39R,
GI206 AOA indicator. New Tosten stick grips, TCW BU Battery, B&C alternator to keep the electrons flowing.

KW-G3X-1200.jpg

Nice iPad cradle

Great setup Bryan, interested in details on iPad holder and if your comfortable with the functionality and security with the holder setup. Cheers

She knows her location.

Latest update. All but the Dynon AP Knob Panel and second screen installed. Yesterday was ELT and backup AD-AHRS installation.

The avionics cooling fan was re-purposed from an hold HP server. They are noisy but move a LOT of air. They can also be found on eBay for next to nothing. Wiring the two screens together so both are tied to both GPS antennas was quite a task. Lots of soldering...

Next is fuel pump/filter final install and stick wiring.

r3phY6jh.jpg

rETFuBwh.jpg

Last edited:
The 'Weaver' is getting a panel.

P160709(32).JPG

Set the panel onto the fuselage for the first time today.

The panel was put together in Florida last winter, riveting the sub panel to the ribs at that time. Today found it wouldn't
fit and had to trim the six rivet edge from one side to have it fit over the longerons.
Will fabricate a plate extension to cover and connect as necessary.

G3X IFR system with dual 10" screens, dual adahars, VPX-Pro power, GTN625 navigator, 39R ADSB etc.

Switch color

I see a lot of guys using color toggle switch tips and was wondering if there is a standard for the colors used for each type switch or is it just user preference? For example master RED, Lights BLUE, and so on.

Not sure if there's an industry standard, but I have my own:

Master power switches (Master, Avionics, Backup): Red
Fuel Pump: Blue
Strobe/Nav Lights: Yellow
Pitot Heat, A/P: Green

It's just what made sense to me.

Tore out the old, in with the new

Here's what I started with:
00s0s_9lAUkHk0HQ6_600x450.jpg

Here's where it is today:
00p0p_fdtm4l3vrvd_600x450.jpg

Here's what I have on order and should be delivered in 2 weeks from AFS / Dynon. Quick Build was the only way I could ever accomplish this as I have ZERO patience and have the need to fly often!
00V0V_bL9rK29JxMG_600x450.jpg

This is the newest 10" HDX touch screens with the full autopilot, ADSB, autotrim, all the goodies! Panel comes powder coated and labelled with all the cables going and plugging into the AFS control Module for simplicity.

Wow very nice avionics and layout. I was wiring and testing my avionics today, here is a picture. I'm coming up on 3 years into my build and I cannot wait to fly my RV-7A. Experimental aviation has revolutionized avionics in aircraft.
6p713a.jpg

Last edited:
Finally finished my panel with the second screen and iPad mount.

My switch coloring for the post above:
* Red - Power
* Blue - Fuel (100LL)
* Green - Mags
* Black - Generic
* White - Lighting

fsvUAOnh.jpg

Last edited:
A New Garmin Panel Coming to Life

Garmin%20Panel2.jpg

Jules Mominee and Phil Dawes' panel and plane are finally in the same room, getting to know each other. The panel is being built up using a prototype of a molded carbon fiber RV-7 panel being developed by a VAF advertizer. Everything for a complete IFR Garmin panel mounts between the panel and the first bulkhead. Installation pictures will follow over the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Very nice!

This is very much like the panel Stein is going to build for us for our RV-7A. I am curious as to why you chose not to center the G5 over the center stack?

Please post some more pictures as you get it installed.

This is very much like the panel Stein is going to build for us for our RV-7A. I am curious as to why you chose not to center the G5 over the center stack?

Please post some more pictures as you get it installed.

There is a center rib up high, maybe to miss it?

I believe so

There is a center rib up high, maybe to miss it?

And I think there are a couple on the sides as well, which I've heard all have to be modified for the big flat screens of the G3X (or any other screens).

Does anyone have pictures of the back of their flat screen panels that show how they modified the ribs? My understanding is that these ribs are structural only in the sense that they position the front panel and rear sub-panel. They aren't load bearing in the traditional sense?

And I think there are a couple on the sides as well, which I've heard all have to be modified for the big flat screens of the G3X (or any other screens).

Does anyone have pictures of the back of their flat screen panels that show how they modified the ribs? My understanding is that these ribs are structural only in the sense that they position the front panel and rear sub-panel. They aren't load bearing in the traditional sense?

I had to cut mine out a little. I slowly cut away until I figured out how much to clear and then restructured with some angle. Hopefully this is more than adequate. You'll have to judge for yourself.

Last edited:
My panel completed

I tried to keep it clean and simple.

beanna.jpg

27y5113.jpg

2jczm7p.jpg

Working with Bill at UpNorth Aviation I completed the design work and he cut the panel. The labels were done by Matt at Aircraft Engravers. Stein built the wiring harness for the radios including the headset jacks. All three were wonderful to work with and made the panel process very easy.

Last edited:
That does look very sharp Bret.. nicely done!

One of the best I've seen

Thanks, just acquired the second panel from a nice gentleman here on the forums, little did I know....that when I plugged in the second panel, there was some kind of conflict, I lost everything as far as set up, it took several hours to redo all my fuel tables and re set everything, should have saved my settings before adding the second screen, live and learn, but its all good now.

Thanks for that info, but Just to save someone from making my mistake, I bought this kinda used, it was in very new condition but had the previous owners tail number set and I did not notice this until it booted up, then red Xs started popping up everywhere.....NOOOO, in any case, it was a good exercise on how to configure a complete Dynon system.....again, luckily I had all the fuel tank sensors cal numbers and EMS pinout notes :rolleyes:

Back