What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lyc SB505B

johnfurey

Well Known Member
I need some advice on SB505B. A friend has an O-360-A1A hollow crank that was bought new in 1996. It has a fixed pitch prop and 700 hrs but only about 10hrs per year for the past 8 years. I believe the SB says it needs inspected within 10 yrs of being shipped which is over 10 yrs past due. What is involved in doing the inspection and what have those of you with this situation done?

Your friend does understand that this is a SB and is not required for a part 91 flown aircraft?

*If* you are using it with a FP prop, then like you said within 10 years it needs to be inspected. The issue is lead and crud collects in the hollow snout of the crank. So the crank plug is removed, the lead etc is cleaned out, and the id is inspected for pitting and corrosion. Pits are the problem as they create stress risers that can causes cracks and failure. If pits are present it needs to be inspected with fluorescent penetrate. If it passes, no pits or cracks, the crank shop will paint the id of the crank to prevent more corrosion. Look for a ?PID? stamped on the crank flange, if so it?s been inspected and treated already.
Tim Andres

Your friend does understand that this is a SB and is not required for a part 91 flown aircraft?

You are correct. I would add that I have seen the inside of many of these and corrosion and pitting is not unheard of with the cranks that are not coated. If anyone decides to not comply with this AD 98-02-08 it's still a great idea to at least open it up every 5 years or so to clean out the sludge and have a look see. The sludge contains combustion leftovers & some moisture which can be corrosive. Full inspection and Compliance is better.

Don Broussard A&P, IA, ATP
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Back