What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl fitting and the inlet ramp

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Cowl fitting and the inlet ramp

Two questions about fitting the cowl, does the rubber seal of the inlet ramps sits on top of the ramp or just there to close the gap.
If it sits on top of the ramp, which I believe it should, how was the fit of your cowl inlet in relation to the ramp on the pilot side?

I have attached my snorkel to a very nice fit and my initial cowl setup of top and bottom was very good. After fitting the top cowl, per plan, and the bottle cowl the inboard lip of the air inlet is at or slightly above the ramp (only on the inboard side) which means my seal cannot sit on top of the ramp.

I have manipulated the bottom side to come as high as it can and still maintain a good fit. I rather not push the whole thing up as my sides will end up with a larger gap than desired and would not leave room for engine sag.

Long term, a bit of engine sag is to be expected, something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue. Van's indicated to me that I should expect this fitment to improve as the engine sags due to the engine mounts relaxing over time.

The area of interest is here (thanks to my friend and builder, Greg in Perth for this diagram). This image is not necessarily to scale.

zsvYddzabQzlEY89tlTE1MxuIHGGNPFM8g_kBMEzlO_705iP8L7uQ3cIvWK0fYVicczU0XkXcCAlwYKNiBR0vq5Q8uYvfc_jw__5bXGfmOPUPfN9sFWxlomxoV6YlObnzhz7DBWbuks=w600

The following is described in more detail here on my blog.

My bottom cowl sat too low relative to the intake. This is evident in the distorted profile of the CB-00032N Cowl Baffle Seal. It made placing the bottom cowl a challenging affair.

IMG_8823.JPG

You can see the misalignment here. You're looking edge-on to the baffle seal: The bottom cowl is the lowest piece in the image, the baffle seal is folded forward, the next layer is the snorkel and the two pieces of (primed) metal are the CB-00033 Air Filter Frame Cover and CB-00020 Air Filter Frame.

IMG_8825.JPG

One friend of mine adjusted the height of his snorkel. I took a different approach. The cowl was cut then reworked with a new buildup.

IMG_9010.JPG

Without the CB-00032N Cowl Baffle Seal in place, you can see the better fitment.

IMG_9014.JPG

Here's the final result.

IMG_9022.gif

It looks symmetrical and level relative to the right side.

IMG_20180422_154924.jpg

Last edited:
Back