What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 in/out access

ultralights

I'm New Here
I desire to know the opinions about RV-12 in/out access?
Is difficult for big persons?
Is hight for short persons?
Exist some video about that?

Some answers ( I hope ) - -

As easy as any to get in and out. I am 6' and I have had a 250# person go for a ride, no problem. If short, you might need pedal extensions that some have made. I have seen 6' 4" persons fit ok. Hope it helps some. Give us more info, and you will get maybe a better answer.

The boarding steps appear to be a weak point - some have broken when used aggressively or by larger folks. I try to avoid using the boarding step when possible. You can sit on the wing walk and lift your leg up and over the cockpit side rail followed by your derriere and other leg. It's not bad at all -- just be real careful that you do not push with your hands on the thin / unsupported wing skins or on the triangular support (the one with the plastic canopy guide block) at the rear of the side rail -- it will buckle with too much weight. I find myself pushing on this rear area of the side rail a lot when getting into and out of the seat. I am going to beef it up a bit so that the inner unsupported edge won't buckle. Or, I could lose 40 pounds and/or 20 years and all would be much better! :D

I do a little different than some - -

I step on the step, then to the wing, then step onto the floor. Easy and simple. Getting out ( maybe because of my size ), I step on the wing with left foot, then right foot on the step, and walk off. Works well for me. A shorter person may not find that to work well.

Yes, I strengthened my step after breaking it.

I'm 6 foot 200 lbs. Took up a slightly shorter 280 pound passenger. He had no issues getting in. He remarked that he was comfortable and surprised that we were not cramped like sardines.

Had ~15 gallons aboard, 750# empty weight, so we were at gross wt. He also was surprised at the takeoff acceleration and climb.

Bill H.
RV12 N412BR "Sweetie"

I am sure this is correct. Mine is not finished yet, but the two completed planes I have been given rides in, it was difficult trying to determine just how to step and plop, but I think with a little practice it will become easy enough even for an old stiff jointed person.
A little practice and you won't think twice about it.

Back