What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conditional Discovery

Peterk

Well Known Member
An ongoing conditional this month has turned up two unusuals. My RV-12 was certified ELSA in 2009 and currently has over 500 hours. Two things that I check every year had changed this year. One was the torque on the propellor, the other was the tension on the stabilator cables. The Sensenich prop is to carry 20-22 ftlbs on the mounting hub/gearbox connection. Per Sensenich, that torque is to be checked on an annual basis OR after any sudden vibration. Coincidentally, I noticed a slight vibration just as I was planning to do my conditional. I was thinking tire balance? firewall stiffener mod? My six prop bolt torques were 22, 22, 22, 15, 10, 10. Each of these bolts has Nordlocs on the head and the nut. Nordlocs don't budge. Is the bolt stretching? So they are now at full torque again. I will be watching closely. The elevator cables don't surprise me now that I think about it. The can indeed stretch. I travel long distances with an autopilot. Those cables never stop moving. Plus the tension on those cables is really just designed to prevent them from clanging around. Also...at 500 plus hours, I changed my brake pads for the second time (stay off the brakes Pete!). The Dresser retreads are still in great shape....they last way, way, way longer than the ones that come with the plane.

So I mention these two for those of you getting up in time. You may want to take a peek.

p.s. I did talk with Sensenich. They have several 2000 hr props in use under flight school conditions. They do recommend that you replace Nordlocs after three mounting episodes. I am changing mine.

Last edited:
I believe the Vans recommended interval for prop bolt torque check is 25hrs, but I'm new to this business and may have it wrong.
I think if you're getting 250hrs out of your brake pads you're doing great. I know some that are being replaced at lest than 100hrs.
Thanks for the heads up on both issues.

Back