What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Gross Weight

Hello. I am a lurker who is thinking about building an RV-12. If the General Aviation Protection Act passes then new planes would not have to adhere to the 1320 pounds LSA gross weight. The odds are that the RV-12 did not test out exactly at 1320 pounds for safety. There might be some room for a higher weight certification.
For example, the design gross weight for the Zenith 750 and 750 Cruzer is 1440 pounds, but one could certify it at 1320 pounds for LSA.
Just wondering.
Regards,
Damien
N48TK

Hello. I am a lurker who is thinking about building an RV-12. If the General Aviation Protection Act passes then new planes would not have to adhere to the 1320 pounds LSA gross weight. The odds are that the RV-12 did not test out exactly at 1320 pounds for safety. There might be some room for a higher weight certification.
For example, the design gross weight for the Zenith 750 and 750 Cruzer is 1440 pounds, but one could certify it at 1320 pounds for LSA.
Just wondering.
Regards,
Damien
N48TK

As has been mentioned here in the forum previously, the RV-12 was designed Specifically to meet the LSA requirements, and have the best performance possible while meeting those requirements.
The way to do that is design the structure with only the amount of strength (weight) absolutely necessary. All of the static load testing done on the test articles was done using the test requirements and weights for LSA.

Bottom line... it wasn't designed or tested for anything above LSA gross weight.

Bottom line... it wasn't designed or tested for anything above LSA gross weight.
I don't work for Van's like rvbuilder2002 does but in looking at the -12, it is obvious that it was built to the LSA limits and not an ounce of extra structure was included. That is one reason the -12 has such a good useful load.

Back