What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Sport Synthetic Approach

pilotmansam

I have installed a GRT Sport EX EFIS and interfaced this with my Trutrak Vizion autopilot. The gps is just the GRT internal gps. This all seems to be working fine and makes me want to experiment more. I do not have an approach legal gps navigator. However, if I purchase the GRT ARNIC module and connect it to the EFIS and to the autopilot will the EFIS send vertical and lateral guidance to the autopilot for a Synthetic Approach?

Thanks Justin. So you have the same setup as me with the Trutrak? GRT tells me I need to also add the vertical autopilot commands option to the Sport EX. Do you have that option too?

Regards, Sam.

I have installed a GRT Sport EX EFIS and interfaced this with my Trutrak Vizion autopilot. The gps is just the GRT internal gps. This all seems to be working fine and makes me want to experiment more. I do not have an approach legal gps navigator. However, if I purchase the GRT ARNIC module and connect it to the EFIS and to the autopilot will the EFIS send vertical and lateral guidance to the autopilot for a Synthetic Approach?
Just to clarify a point from your post. Even if you do add the GRT ARINC module, you still will not have an approach legal gps navigator.

Thanks Justin. So you have the same setup as me with the Trutrak? GRT tells me I need to also add the vertical autopilot commands option to the Sport EX. Do you have that option too?

Regards, Sam.

Although I have the older Sport Sx model it is my understanding that yes you will need to also purchase the vertical command software option from GRT.

Jim
RV9a
Flying since 2013

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I am fully aware of the legalities here. I am just experimenting. However, if I keep spending money I may as well have bought a 430!

Spend money a little at a time. Look for deals here and there as they pop up. I was where you are, with a Sport SX and a TruTrack Gemini, although I already had vertical commands enabled. Then I bought an ARINC module attached to a GRT WS, sold the WS, and had GRT turn the attached module into a remote to work with my Sport when I upgraded to an 8.4" screen. That made an 'emergency backup' coupled synthetic vision approach an option. Eventually I bought a GPS400 here at a good price, which expanded my IFR capabilities. This year I bought a 400W and sold the 400 for a reasonable price difference, plug and play with my wiring for fully coupled approaches! Plus, I've got a GPS source for my GDL82 that is on the way. Win! :D

Back