What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carburetor Installation Hardware

N184DA

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Greetings,

I am swapping out my carb for my O-320.
Going from a 5009N to the 5217 (MA4SPA).

I was running the old carb since flight in 2000.

I was curious to see what the standard/recommended hardware setup was for the carb-to-oil pan nuts.

Here?s what I had before, from top to bottom:

Flat AN960 washer
Internal star/lock washer
Coarse-thread nut
Thin, stamped metal lock nut (can?t recall the part number)

Any comments?

Thanks

Hardware

The last item, sometimes called a palnut, is not required on Lycoming. The rest is correct. The carb nuts are very hard to access with a wrench that will connect to a torque wrench. I welded an adapter to a box/open end combination wrench. If the special wrench is kept at 90 degrees to the torque wrench the torque should be the same. If other than 90 degrees the torque difference can be calculated. I think the torque is 205 inch pounds but verify that.

The last item, sometimes called a palnut, is not required on Lycoming. The rest is correct. The carb nuts are very hard to access with a wrench that will connect to a torque wrench. I welded an adapter to a box/open end combination wrench. If the special wrench is kept at 90 degrees to the torque wrench the torque should be the same. If other than 90 degrees the torque difference can be calculated. I think the torque is 205 inch pounds but verify that.

Yep,
Palnut.

Thanks, I drew a blank.

Back