What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Style Heat Exchanger - Assembly Pictures

WA85

Well Known Member
My RV-8 / IO-320 / fixed pitch prop, FWF kit came with Drawing OP 54 and has the EX-00001/8 box shaped heat muff assy that clamps around the cross over pipes in front of the engine.
It requires the heat muff inlet air to ported off the LH front cowl inlet air dam. Has anyone completed their baffling and cowling, and can you post some pictures of how you plumbed the inlet air duct to the heat muff. The FWF kit and drawings are a bit vague in this area.

Note, if you have this new type heat muff, it is very nicely constructed and fits very well over the cross over pipes. It looks like it will provide much more heat than the can type.
However, when you start your baffling, note that the RH aft (#3 cylinder) baffle comes with a pre-cut hole to supply ram air for the old can type heat muff on the #1/3 pipe. You might think about putting a patch plate over it since it will not be used to feed air the new type heat muff, which gets it inlet air from the front. I will admit to not recognizing this and now I need to patch the hole after the fact. Maybe Vans will make a new #3 baffle without a hole in it and a new LH front air dam baffle with a hole to work with the new type heat muff.:)

Got the same problem here on RV7 with 0360A1A. How to route the scat tubing from this muff to the firewall inlet?

My current, but yet to be implemented plan is to plug the #3 cylinder baffle hole with the Vans supplied plug, then fabricate a heat exchanger inlet duct in front #2 cylinder inlet ramp.

The current plans still reflect the old type soup can installation.

Another issue I am finding is the SCAT tubing comes off the RH side of the hear exchanger and runs right into the throttle linkage. It is really tight in this area with the motor mount, exhaust and throttle linkage. Not an ideal situation.

I posted a photo about 3 weeks ago of my original setup with this heatmuff. It would be worth contacting Scott as there are a couple of important details not on the plans which make the carb heat more effective.

Dont use it with B&C starter

I have the new heat muff and it will not work with my B&C Starter. The solenoid on the start sets too low. Either I change to a different starter or I go back to original style heat muff.

Back