What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D180 Autopilot Issue

RFSchaller

Well Known Member
I know everyone who has a D180 system is familiar with the NAV SOURCE dropout that was supposed to be corrected by the latest Dynon update (I think it was 5.4). When I did the update I no longer had a NAV mode option, but TRACK worked fine (that's some magic SH##!).

One day another RV-12 owner saw mine in the hangar and we started trading info. He told me he had solved this problem by using a GARMIN 396 in place of the 496. Well, today I swapped my 496 out for the 396 I bought years ago, and guess what, it works! I now have NAV and TRACK mode working perfectly.

If anybody else has issues with the NAV mode after the latest D180 update you might want to try this.

The 396 and 496 both will work. Check your advanced NMEA setting on the X96 and make sure it is set to NORMAL and not FAST.

I have the D-180 and 496 and the latest Dynon firmware and the autopilot works fine.
Joe Gores

BigJohn,

It is FIXED with the 396 in place! :D. I'm just disappointed I didn't get to use some duct tape too! :p

Rich

John,

What I didn't say was the original 496 died, and the "fixed" one wasn't as bright as my 396, so sticking with the 396 is an easy choice. Most of the time I navigate off the IPad Mini and use the 396 for autopilot input. I had the no-NAV issue with the original and "fixed" 496. I checked the settings to be identical on the 396 and 496, so it remains a mystery -- what we nuclear Navy guys used to refer to light heartedly as " a nuclear phenomenon" :D

Rich

Back