What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1240 -Curving the forward edge

John-G

Well Known Member
Currently working in section 29A of the plans and while looking ahead, noticed page 29A-06 Step 6 calls for bending the forward edge of the F-1240 upper forward fuselage skin down. The instruction makes no mention of where the downward curve should begin but there is a reference to curve it so the forward edge presses against the F-1201H upper forward fuselage doubler.

Are we talking about a downward curve beginning at the screw holes or some point forward of that? Is the downward curve necessary to close up a significant gap or to tighten the fit a little?

If just a slight amount of curve is necessary, have any builders just run a Cleaveland edge breaking tool along the outer edge of the F-1240 to obtain the necessary downward curve?

Any assistance or clarification appreciated

I used the Cleaveland edge breaking tool along the complete forward edge of the F-1240. Makes a nice fit (just to tighten the fit a little).
Something different: I had some cracks around the #8 dimples. I ordered a new part and used a #18 drill instead of a #19 drill.

Bending

John, just done this. Put the front edge over the edge of the workbench by about 1?-2" and just pressed down slightly. Saw no obvious bend but when installed and screwed down it was absolutely perfect. No tool used.
Jim D

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like it only takes a little tweaking to get the job done ... which is good news.

Back