What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior IO-360 and MT Governor - "Extra" parts?

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I have a Superior XP IO-360 on which I am mounting at MT prop governor. The engine was built, run on a test stand, and pickled for storage a while ago without this governor on it, and I am now installing it on the plane.

I went to fit the governor (after removing sealing tape from the adapter pad) and noted the governor would not quite seat all the way on the pad. So I pulled the governor back off, and out fell a C-ring. I looked inside and saw a round spacer/bushing type ring sitting up by the "female" side of the drive gear. These don't seem to actually fit anywhere in there and I see nothing to clip the C-ring onto.

So, anyone know what these are and why they might be in there? I'm guessing they were placed in there when the engine was pickled (strange) and maybe they were related to something else that was attached there (or elsewhere) when the engine was run?

These are the parts:

And the governor pad and close-up:

The spacer looks like the shim washers used to set the bevel gear lash on the gov gears INSIDE the engine. They come in several thicknesses. Maybe your builder dropped one into that counterbore. You hope.

The spacer looks like the shim washers used to set the bevel gear lash on the gov gears INSIDE the engine. They come in several thicknesses. Maybe your builder dropped one into that counterbore. You hope.

Not really willing to rely on hope of course. :) I'll call Superior tomorrow and check with the builder. Appreciate the info!

The thrust washer and lock ring install on the outside of the splined prop gov drive shaft. This prevents the shaft from moving in toward the engine and keeps the drive gears aligned.
The lock ring and thrust washer have come off for some reason and the shaft has moved in toward the inside of the engine allowing the drive pad to cover the lock ring grove in the od of the shaft. That shaft should be sticking out of the drive, the thickness of the thrust washer and lock ring and then some more. Use a pair of needle nose pliers or something similar to expand inside the spline and grab the inside of the drive shaft and pull it out and it will all be self explanatory on how it should be assembled.
Maybe when you installed the gov, you didn't get the splines lined up and then tightening down the pressure on the shaft popped the snap ring????
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Back