What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shut down and button up procedures...

Latech15

Well Known Member
I typically find myself ready to leave fairly quickly after I shut down and tie the plane down. My 6A lives under a T hanger which is basically just a roof so leaving stuff open is not an option, but the same question would apply if you were flying into an airport and going for lunch somewhere.

I usually hear that folks will leave their oil inspection door open to help with cooling for short stops, but what about for longer stops? I usually leave it shut and will put my cowl plugs in right after shut down. I know that keeps the heat in, but I assume a slower cool down is better than a quick one. What do you guys say about closing everything up immediately after shut down? Ok or should I let it cool down some first?

The only reason I am aware that folks open up the oil door is to try to mitigate hot start issues. If your closing up shop, I see no reason not to button everything up.

By the way, I have used a thermocouple to check plenum temps and even after shut down, on a hot day, with a hot engine, temps stay reasonably cool.
Example - 104 F deg. OAT siting on a hot ramp, plenum temps peaked at 175 F deg.

For those with hot start issues, it is remarkable how much cooling can be had just by turning the aircraft into the wind, if you have any.

I like to leave the oil inspection door open to facilitate the removal of residual heat from the engine compartment after a flight. I have read that engine heat emissions increase somewhat after engine shut-down due to lack of airflow and the still-hot engine. Aside from hot-start considerations, I wonder what negative effect such heat might have on the fiberglass cowling components, fluid lines, electrical components, etc.

Opening the oil cooler door does not do anything to cool the plenum area that is the typical problem with hot starts or even to cool the engine itself. All the oil door will do is vent out a little hot air behind the engine where the mounts/accessories are. You need airflow through the cylinders to cool the plenum area above the engine or the engine itself.

That said, I do open the oil door and pull out the dip stick for 5-10 minutes after shut down, and put in hangar, to vent out some steam and hopefully reduce the moisture in the engine itself. I do not do this if left on the ramp during a lunch stop as I don't want a bird to **** in my oil filler tube.

Back