- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2018, 05:23 AM

Default Advanced Controls Module vs Vertical Power

Just getting started on my RV 10 build, so I got along ways to go before I need to worry about my avionics, but I do have questions as I'm doing some future thinking. Do both of these products offer the same thing, just that Vertical Power supports Garmin, and Advanced Controls for Dynon and Advanced?
Old 07-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Marvin, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 AM

I am not understand you I guess.

I put the Vertical Power Breaker replacement system in my 7A and I used Dynon SVs'. So I do not know the answer to your question about Vertical power only for Garmin, and Advanced only for Dynon and Advanced.

I do not think Vertical Power unit cares what EFIS or type of radios. It is an electronic breaker system and much more as seen on the EFIS.

RV-7A N1243A Sold
#140479 RV-14A N1479B Reserved
Old 07-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Smile

My quicky view is the the AFS system is more like a Vertical Power and Approach Fast Stack hub combined.

If you want someone else to build the entire panel/avionics for you, it might be the easiest, with simplified wiring due to the "hub" approach.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 07-15-2018, 06:05 PM

These will be available with a complete QUICK PANEL system for the foreseeable future. Hardware/cables etc all in a bundle from Dynon/AFS.

They are more expensive but are in my opinion better. The integration with the Skyview is very nice too!

As someone who does installation work I think they are awesome. Cuts me out of some work though

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvinRV10 View Post
Just getting started on my RV 10 build, so I got along ways to go before I need to worry about my avionics, but I do have questions as I'm doing some future thinking. Do both of these products offer the same thing, just that Vertical Power supports Garmin, and Advanced Controls for Dynon and Advanced?
Marvin - perhaps to further clarify some of the comments above...

Vertical Power is about... POWER control. Power in, power out, power switching.

The Advanced Control Module is about all that, PLUS interfacing your EFIS devices, radios and other equipment. The ACM is the "glue logic" that allows one box to talk to the other without you having to do a custom wiring harness from one box to another.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 AM

Default ECBs?

The Advanced Controls module seems slick, but does it truly offer electronic circuit breaker capabilities (the real benefit of the VPX)?

Would be glad to hear it does, though havent seen that clearly specified. I see what is automotive style fuses but no mention of ECBs.

Having done one RV panel overall with a VPX and fast stack hub system, Id love to see those integrated into an affordable single device!
Prior partner in RV-9a & RV-10
Now flying RV-10 #40515
Old 07-16-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr800 View Post
The Advanced Controls module seems slick, but does it truly offer electronic circuit breaker capabilities (the real benefit of the VPX)?

Would be glad to hear it does, though havent seen that clearly specified. I see what is automotive style fuses but no mention of ECBs.

Having done one RV panel overall with a VPX and fast stack hub system, Id love to see those integrated into an affordable single device!
Yes they do. Dynon page link to the Advanced Control Module with ECB's. Started shipping in March by AFS FB post here.

I currently have a VP-X Pro sitting on the shelf. I'm watching to see what goes on this year (OSH next week and all). Will I stay with the Pro or maybe go with the module. As I understand it the module is not offered as a stand alone product only included with their quick panels. I start wiring in the next few months.
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 07-16-2018, 10:13 AM

Default Good news

Thanks for the clarification, Carlos. Very nice combo unit.
Prior partner in RV-9a & RV-10
Now flying RV-10 #40515
Old 07-16-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvinRV10 View Post
Dont overlook the option of not using either product. Im sure they perform as advertised, but lock you into a single architect that may not support your design objectives.

Switches and breakers provide a wide range of design choice.

No flame intended,
Carl