What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flaperon holder

jrich

I would like to see a picture of a simple device that holds the flaperon trailing edge inline with the balance of the trailing edge of the wing. I plan on towing the plane with the wings off and oriented trailing edge up.

I'm aware of the external padded control surface locks (Pad-lok). I don't know if there is enough of a gap to be be used on the RV-12. Any thoughts?

I used a large spring loaded gluing clamp with a small piece of plywood on each side of the trailing edge bridging the gap between flaperon and wing, but that was for storage not transport. Stay off bumpy roads and it would be fine.

You can attach the flaperons in about 5 minutes each. Consider transporting them detached. Put them on the bottom of the trailer tied down with foam pads. (If you have an upholstery shop or mattress factory nearby, they will have plenty of scrap foam.)

Alternatively, I have a friend with a horse trailer. I screwed my wing stand onto its wood floor and used that to transport the wings with the flaperons attached. No wind inside the horse trailer. I used straps and pieces of foam to prevent any untoward movement. The fuselage was on a flat-bed type of trailer. (2 trips to take the plane to the airport).

Back