What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

250in-lbs on fuel pump but how?

blueflyer

Well Known Member
I see where the hex head screws that attach the mechanical fuel pump to the accessory housing calls for a torque of 250in-lbs. Do you have any tricks for getting a torque wrench on the inner side hex head screw (the one my fat finger is pointing to in the picture below)? My engine is installed on the airplane already, so thats why its so hard to get at.

oez.jpg

I cut off the short end off of a ball ended hex (allen) wrench and used the long end to extend far enough past the pump to put a regular socket on my torque wrench. (With the ball hex wrench you can come diagonally out of the cap screw.)

Hopefully that all makes sense...

hmm, yep that does makes sense. I thought I tried that. I'll try that again. Maybe I was so tired when I tried that I was hitting something and didnt realize it. Thanks for the input.

put a regular socket on my torque wrench. (With the ball hex wrench you can come diagonally out of the cap screw.)

If the "diagonal" is more than about 20 - 30 degrees you should probably apply the appropriate correction to your wrench setting (set the wrench higher by a factor of 1/cosine (angle off center), e.g., for 30 deg off center, 1/cos(30) = 1.15, so set the wrench 15% higher than the published setting.

Thanks Bob. I was concerned about the diagonal but wasn't sure how to address it. You took care of that.

Back