VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-13-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Upgraded kit instead?

I'd like to see Van's upgrade and simplify the construction process of the RV-7, 8, 9 series of aircraft with the same technology that they used to produce the RV-12 and RV-14. Make it easier for us whom some of you refer to as 'kit assemblers' to build. My next Van's aircraft most likely will be a 9 or 9A. Not afraid to build the 9 as it is but the fit any simplicity of assembling my 12 is outstanding. No jigs, etc. Simply easier and in my opinion better. And I'm not afraid of the standard flush rivets either.

I'm a Dynon guy - all in. And I'd like the option of buying a complete Dynon system which has actually been assembled and all of the wiring including the wiring that we place inside the structure of the airplane having been trial assembled and tested on the bench by Dynon. This would cost more but I'll bet it would be a good seller for Dynon. Yeah, I'm as sissy builder but a tested avionics system that I could simply install into my RV-9 would be nice to have. I will have a complete Dynon system in my 12 and the actual wiring of it has consumed many, many hours. I'd like a plug and play full avionics system that is fully tested at Dynon that I could simple install into my airframe, plug in, verify, and fly.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Actually the 14 is the down sized RV-10 and the up sized RV-9.
It uses the RV-10 airfoil section which was design for cruising efficiency as its primary mission (just like the RV-9)
Whooop!!!
We marvel at that airfoil up high sucking O2 on the way to/from to the next adventure.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Actually the 14 is the down sized RV-10 and the up sized RV-9.
It uses the RV-10 airfoil section which was design for cruising efficiency as its primary mission (just like the RV-9)
Just to be clear on the terminology, the RV-9(A) uses a John Roncz custom airfoil. The RV-10 and the RV-14 share the same custom airfoil (by a VAF contributor) but this is a different airfoil from the RV-9(A).
Old 08-13-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrye View Post
Just to be clear on the terminology, the RV-9(A) uses a John Roncz custom airfoil. The RV-10 and the RV-14 share the same custom airfoil (by a VAF contributor) but this is a different airfoil from the RV-9(A).
That is correct, but even though they have different airfoils, both were designed with the same purpose in mind.
The RV-9 airfoil was specifically designed to also produce excellent performance on lower HP. In comparing the 9 and the 14; I would say that is the primary difference other than what was already mentioned (bigger size, engine, gross weight, etc., for the 14)

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-14-2018, 04:21 AM

Default 65hp cub

Doug,
I did the same thing. (Picked up an original 65hp cub this summer).
The cub definitely opened up a part of the flying experience that the RV can't do. The simplistic and low cost flying along with the open doors deal makes early morning or late evenings such a joy. A high-wing RV would be a nice hangar mate with an existing Low-wing RV. My RV is maybe like a SUV. It does several things well. However, it will never be a truck. How can a feller go thru life without a truck?
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo View Post
This morning 0800 at the ‘remote office’ 3n.m. east of my home field in the shared Cub - a 2 1/2 minute flight and maybe a cup of fuel. Dried up part of a creek/lake that some of us have started calling ‘Denton Creek Regional Spaceport and Tire Care Center’ (DCRSTCC). When it starts raining this all goes away, but while it’s 90*F at 0800 here in the south, we pick our outings carefully and plan on shade. RVating needs to be done by 0800 here this time of year. The open door Cub not so much.

A WiFi puck, iPad and I’m working with an office view to get excited about. 30 minutes out here under the wing, not on a runway or airport, allows my brain to decompress and gives me the mojo to take on the day. Note VAF on iPad….I’m working on picking stories for the next day’s edition.

Full size image: https://photos.smugmug.com/Planes/Cu...MG_9799-5K.jpg

Here’s a better pano with the FOV slightly elevated….

If I had an RV that would do this it would be on the front page of VAF all…the…time. I don’t mind working on emails and stuff if this is the view.

Full size image: https://photos.smugmug.com/Planes/Cu...MG_9800-5K.jpg

The next pic showing that even with the wheel pants off, the RV would have a tough time of it. The cracks are big and you need bigger tires than what comes on the RV. The DCRSTCC aerodrome is too short for the current RV models anyway. It would probably be too short for 2 people in the Cub - 65hp and no flaps after all.

An RV-Super Cub, with 60* fowler flaps and slats and 31” tires would make for a nice way for two RV folks to enjoy a picnic RV breakfast or RV lunch. Uncharted RV territory......off road!

Full size image: https://photos.smugmug.com/Planes/Cu...MG_9797-X5.jpg

Back in the Cub, engine running and about to take off. Time for one more pano…

Full size image: https://photos.smugmug.com/Planes/Cu...MG_9802-5K.jpg

This is the stuff I’d LOOOOOVVVVEEEEE to do in an RV, if there was such an offering. Like I said in an earlier reply: I’d build it. I’d promote it. The Cub would be gone in a heartbeat. I’d fly an RV-Super Cub often…especially in our four months of hot, hot weather.

I’ll shut up now, as you're probably sick of me begging for this thing. ;^)

v/r,dr

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
J3-65 Cub - low and slow stuff
Comanche 260 - poor mans RV-10
Old 08-14-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrye View Post
And both Steve and John did an amazing job designing custom airfoils!

Can you tell us why two different airfoils were used for the RV-9 vs. RV-10?

I'm with Scott, every time I fly my -9 I am stunned by the performance up high, down low, on takeoff, and landing.

My dream plane is 2+2 bush plane with that airfoil. While it will be no DRACO or Super STOL, it will be more than adequate for 99% of the rough fields I would like to visit.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 08-14-2018, 06:51 AM

The RV14 was my eleventh and last plane. I would however be very interested in a high wing, NO strut, aluminum RV. Tail wheel of course. The RV14 gear would be perfect but I would want a heavier tail wheel and aft fuselage. Something able to handle rougher terrain. A 540 option would be awesome.
A fuseage half way between a 14 and a 10 would be perfect if it had a decent size aft door. What the heck, while you are at it make the main cabin doors removable!

With no struts I cannot see any reason why this could not be a 150 to 175 knot airplane.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Martin : 08-14-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
The RV14 was my eleventh and last plane. I would however be very interested in a high wing, NO strut, aluminum RV. Tail wheel of course. The RV14 gear would be perfect but I would want a heavier tail wheel and aft fuselage. Something able to handle rougher terrain. A 540 option would be awesome.
A fuseage half way between a 14 and a 10 would be perfect if it had a decent size aft door. What the heck, while you are at it make the main cabin doors removable!

With no struts I cannot see any reason why this could not be a 150 to 175 knot airplane.
Even with struts hanging out in the breeze the Sportsman does between 140 & 145 knots with an IO-390 so your speed goal seems entirely reasonable, with the higher speeds making sense particularly with a 540 installed. Of course it already has all those other mission-specific items you've suggested, but it still has those pesky struts which come in pretty handy when one wants to fold the wings.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:18 AM

The biggest problem with a strut-less high wing is head room. Without struts you will need a hefty spar carry-through. This takes up a lot of room just where you don't want it.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 08-14-2018, 07:48 AM

I would like to see the next model be an updated (version 2?) 10 or 14 with the fiberglass parts pre-finished and some of the more monotonous tasks pre-done.

As I see it, there are probably two classes of experimental folks .. builders and assemblers .. personally I think I fall somewhere in the middle.

And let's face it .. Experimental and LSA aircraft are the new GA, might as well get them cranking out .. these Cherokees and 172s are getting a little long in the tooth.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Away for PAINT

Last edited by bkervaski : 08-14-2018 at 07:54 AM.