VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Default Electric

I would like to see them start developing an all electric version. Possibly base it off of the 12. Battery density will be high enough in just a few short years. The Alpha Electro already has an hour (plus reserve) of endurance now, which is a great start, and perfect for flight training. Once that is up to 2 or 3 hours then traveling becomes possible.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhassel View Post
The high wing idea has been mentioned many times so there seems to be support for it in the community. I'd also like to an RV-14 version of the 9; roomier cockpit plus all the nice features of the 14 build.

Bob
Isn't the RV-14 the RV-14 version of the RV-9?
RV-14A Kit#140433, N393AJ Reserved
Completed: Vertical Stab/Horizontal Stab
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Empennage (Elevator)
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid on 10 October 2018
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" is the opposite of "find". "Loose" means "not tight".
Old 08-13-2018, 01:48 AM

Smile Hybrid Version of the 7

I would love to build a gasoline-electric hybrid version of the RV7.

- classic matched hole aluminum body for comfortable building
- slightly increased aspect ratio / wing span
- side by side seating
- nose wheel and tail wheel version
- aerobatic capability
- 120 kW electric propulsion (2 60kW electric motors for redundancy)
- slow turning large diameter adjustable 5 blade propeller for less noise
- 80 kW modern gasoline (unleaded regular auto gas / "pump gas") electronic injected, electronic twin sparked engine (e.g. BMW R1200 motorcycle, Sauer Flugmotoren, VW clone, Geiger Flugmotorenbau, Rotax, etc.)
- 2 x15kWh LiFePo buffer batteries for 15min at T/O power (5min take off and initial climb at 120kW, 10min climb at 75%, 11kWh to return to the field in case of gas engine failure or charging problems)
- 2 x40kW belt driven generators for cost reduction and redundancy

Avgas cost is a real problem over here. 1 liter is approximately Ä2.50 ($11.00 per usg). An engine using regular automotive fuel, diesel or Jet A1 would be absolutely necessary for me. The electric propulsion would give some redundancy in case of single electric motor, generator or battery failure or gas engine failure.

Patrick
Old 08-13-2018, 07:55 AM

Default High wing RV?

I’m with Doug on this one. I would love to have a Van’s High wing bush plane.

Think about this. The Cessna 170 / 172 is the most popular airplane ever. It’s under powered. If Van’s offered a design that would be similar to a 170, have plenty of power, and be easy to build? I would be the second to buy the kit.

This would be designed as if a Super Cub and C170 had kids. All metal, O-320 to IO-390 Lycoming. Nose wheel or tail wheel. 2,200 Gw. Big baggage door.

I built a North Star Bush plane in 2004. I still fly it. I put my money down. I love this type of flying. I would want to own, promote, fly, a Van’s product like this if it was available.

PS:
My North Star has an O-360, and 31” Alaska Bush Wheels
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter

Last edited by Jaypratt : 08-13-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypratt View Post
Iím with Doug on this one. I would love to have a Vanís High wing bush plane.

Think about this. The Cessna 170 / 172 is the most popular airplane ever. Itís under powered. If Vanís offered a design that would be similar to a 170, have plenty of power, and be easy to build? I would be the second to buy the kit.

This would be designed as if a Super Cub and C170 had kids. All metal, O-320 to IO-390 Lycoming. Nose wheel or tail wheel. 2,200 Gw. Big baggage door.

I built a North Star Bush plane in 2004. I still fly it. I put my money down. I love this type of flying. I would want to own, promote, fly, a Vanís product like this if it was available.

PS:
My North Star has a O-360, and 31Ē Alaska Bush Wheels
Van's should have bought Murphy when it was for sale a few years ago. Update the drawings and kit contents, along with prepunched skins, and you have an instant success. There's a reason they are so popular with out neighbors to the north. I know I love my Muprhy Rebel
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 AM

A O-320 powered kit version of the Vashon Ranger
RV-6, sold, 820 hrs of fun.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOut View Post
Isn't the RV-14 the RV-14 version of the RV-9?
No its the RV-14 version of the RV-7...

Subscription Paid for 2018

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 08-13-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypratt View Post
Iím with Doug on this one. I would love to have a Vanís High wing bush plane.

Think about this. The Cessna 170 / 172 is the most popular airplane ever. Itís under powered. If Vanís offered a design that would be similar to a 170, have plenty of power, and be easy to build? I would be the second to buy the kit.

Not to be too tongue-in-cheek, but the product of which you speak is called the Glasair Sportsman. It matches all of those criteria quite nicely, save for the pre-punched, all aluminum build. The success of the Sportsman really tells us that Jay isn't the only person in the world who wants this kind of utility aircraft. I can't argue with Jay because I built a Sportsman.

The utility of the aircraft was a huge selling point for me, as was its crashworthiness, thanks to its 4130 steel "cage" around the cockpit. I don't think I would want to give up that cage in favor of all-aluminum construction.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Not to be too tongue-in-cheek, but the product of which you speak is called the Glasair Sportsman. It matches all of those criteria quite nicely, save for the pre-punched, all aluminum build. The success of the Sportsman really tells us that Jay isn't the only person in the world who wants this kind of utility aircraft. I can't argue with Jay because I built a Sportsman.

The utility of the aircraft was a huge selling point for me, as was its crashworthiness, thanks to its 4130 steel "cage" around the cockpit. I don't think I would want to give up that cage in favor of all-aluminum construction.
The big problem with the Sportsman is that Glasair has already stated that once the Sportsman is certified they will stop producing kits.
RV-8 (Bought Flying)
Glasair Sportsman (Sold)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhassel View Post
No its the RV-14 version of the RV-7...
Actually the 14 is the down sized RV-10 and the up sized RV-9.
It uses the RV-10 airfoil section which was design for cruising efficiency as its primary mission (just like the RV-9)

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")