Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Somebody do the same test incorporating a straight weight oil, and maybe we'll learn something useful.
And maybe a preservative oil as well for comparison!

erich
Old 07-31-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Every oil expert, Phillips, AeroShell, and independent that I talked to said Marvel Mystery Oil is just that, a complete mystery and totally ineffective. According to most of them the only thing mysterious about MMO is the fact that intelligent people would spend any money for the product.
Haha.. Experts = BS.. They are all biased. They either work from a company or they believe they are important. As far as MMO? I've seen it work. Years ago I had a Turbo Arrow with a low cylinder, added 1/2 qt MMO and the compression came up within a few hours F/T. I've seen MMO loosen a frozen Briggs & Stratton. Story after story from friends and pilots about MMO working magic. The mystery is why people like you only believe "Experts" that have a stake only in their product. I'm sure you have no idea the history of MMO. Might want to look that up.

Not only do ALL the oil companies and the additive companies have their own "Test Labs" but they ALL test so their products produce the results they want. Change the temps, change the pressures, change the weight, change anything they want to say what they want. The only requirements of oil is that it must pass SAE standards, nothing more. Anyone remember when the audio companies stopped using Output Watts RMS to state the power output of an amplifier? The wild output claims that every audio company made after that was a joke. Don't be so gullible.

Last edited by FasGlas : 07-31-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
Haha.. Experts = BS.. They are all biased. They either work from a company or they believe they are important. As far as MMO? I've seen it work. Years ago I had a Turbo Arrow with a low cylinder, added 1/2 qt MMO and the compression came up within a few hours F/T. I've seen MMO loosen a frozen Briggs & Stratton. Story after story from friends and pilots about MMO working magic. The mystery is why people like you only believe "Experts" that have a stake only in their product. I'm sure you have no idea the history of MMO. Might want to look that up.

Not only do ALL the oil companies and the additive companies have their own "Test Labs" but they ALL test so their products produce the results they want. Change the temps, change the pressures, change the weight, change anything they want to say what they want. The only requirements of oil is that it must pass SAE standards, nothing more. Anyone remember when the audio companies stopped using Output Watts RMS to state the power output of an amplifier? The wild output claims that every audio company made after that was a joke. Don't be so gullible.
Now don't go gettin your panties in a wad. I was just passing along what I heard in the lectures. I'm still trying to form an opinion which is why I asked the question. If you think MMO is the cat's meow, I value that feedback. Nobody else seems to think so but, if it worked for you, I appreciate your offering your experience.
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through Jan 2019
Old 07-31-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
If you think MMO is the cat's meow, I value that feedback. Nobody else seems to think so but, if it worked for you, I appreciate your offering your experience.
There are others that use and appreciate MMO; a few years ago I had a stuck exhaust valve. The crusty, err, experienced mechanic that fixed it recommended that I run MMO in the gas to help keep the valves and stems clean; it seems to be working for me so far. I also see many radial engine Warbird types doing the same... itís gotta be the lovely wintergreen scent thatís the effective ingredient here.
New Waverly, TX

VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 07-31-2018, 07:39 PM

I'm an A&P, just getting ready to test for IA. I know plenty of A&P's and IA's, every one of them recommend using MMO. The military kept tons of 55 gal barrels of MMO at all the airfields. Note: Does the name Marvel ring any bells? How about Marvel Shreiber? A whole lot of you guys are flying with one. Yes, he invented Marvel Mystery Oil... Very interesting story. 100's of 1000's of military pilots and mechanics all agree MMO worked. Sorry, I don't blindly follow the "Experts".
Old 08-01-2018, 07:29 AM

Just a quick comment / observation. When I last took an engine in for overhaul the shop disassembled the engine right in front of me so I could have a good close look at its status and a much better idea of what the overhaul was going to cost.

When the engine had been torn down I noticed gold-coloured deposits in the engine. Sort of like the appearance of the foil insulation in airliners before smoking was banned - a gold haze over everything. The overhaul shop manager asked me if I ran AeroShell oil. Of course I did!

He then showed me an engine in a similar state of tear down, and its interior metal surfaces were shiny silver metal like a new engine. That engine had gone to TBO running Phillips XC 20W50.

When it came time to spark up our brand new Lycoming O-360-A1F6 I remembered those gold deposits in the engine and started the break-in process using Phillips XC 20W50, and continue to run it today. Break-in was uneventful, despite frigid winter temperatures. Oil consumption now is about a quart in 20 (or more) hours, and the filter remains clean of any debris.

I know precious little about petroleum products so that little side-by-side comparison of an engine that had run AeroShell and an engine that had run Phillips was an education for me.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:28 AM

Default getting a headache

Interesting thread, I followed ECI's guidance for my 0-360 break-in and have run Phillips XC 20/50 ever since with the addition of camguard and some MMO in the gas. The oil sample analysis from Blackstone can be summarized as "keep doing what you are doing".

I guess the question for us non experts is what would we keep our eye open for to suggest the need to change an approach that seems to work?
Figs
Old 08-01-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post

When the engine had been torn down I noticed gold-coloured deposits in the engine. Sort of like the appearance of the foil insulation in airliners before smoking was banned - a gold haze over everything. The overhaul shop manager asked me if I ran AeroShell oil. Of course I did!

He then showed me an engine in a similar state of tear down, and its interior metal surfaces were shiny silver metal like a new engine. That engine had gone to TBO running Phillips XC 20.
Which Aeroshell, and why is gold coloration bad? Any component damage or excess wear?
Old 08-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Cool TBO

CJ did your engine go to TBO also?
Bob
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM

Default MMO

I don't recall seeing this before, but those considering using MMO might want to at least read this NTSB report:

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...16X01610&key=1

Skylor