- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazmanyflyer View Post
As I understand it the module is not offered as a stand alone product only included with their quick panels. I start wiring in the next few months.
I seem to recall a post here by Rob Hickman indicating the ACM either is or is planned to be available as a stand-alone module (specifically the ECB variant). So far my searches have not been fruitful but I'll link back here if I find that post.

EDIT: Found it!
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...75&postcount=9

Also note this post which gives a really good description of the ACM and its roll in simplifying wiring.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...58&postcount=7

Last edited by Canadian_JOY : 07-16-2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added links
Old 07-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10inOz View Post
These will be available with a complete QUICK PANEL system for the foreseeable future. Hardware/cables etc all in a bundle from Dynon/AFS.

They are more expensive but are in my opinion better. The integration with the Skyview is very nice too!

As someone who does installation work I think they are awesome. Cuts me out of some work though
“Awesome” - does that mean you’ve actually used/ installed one ?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakej View Post
“Awesome” - does that mean you’ve actually used/ installed one ?
I installed a VPX pro six years ago. I do have two friends that recently install the AFS ACM module. Both are extremely happy with their installations.

These are really an apples to oranges comparison.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
I installed a VPX pro six years ago. I do have two friends that recently install the AFS ACM module. Both are extremely happy with their installations.

These are really an apples to oranges comparison.
Not being snarky...really...but who is apples and who is oranges? Has someone done a side by side detailed comparison yet? I'm not quite there yet so I have not. And I purchased the Pro before the AFS/Dynon module was available.
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 PM

The AFS module with the electronic circuit breakers is kind of like the VPX and the Approach Fast Stack rolled into one box. It doesn’t have the flexibility of the Fast Stack or the features of the VPX, but it is a good option for what it does, and for a panel that is going to use the instruments that it is designed for, it should work great for you. However, already having the VPX helps you to keep on down that road.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 AM

Default VPX and ACM's

Thanks for all the info guys. Very helpful.

I appreciate it.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
The AFS module with the electronic circuit breakers is kind of like the VPX and the Approach Fast Stack rolled into one box. It doesn’t have the flexibility of the Fast Stack or the features of the VPX, but it is a good option for what it does, and for a panel that is going to use the instruments that it is designed for, it should work great for you. However, already having the VPX helps you to keep on down that road.
As someone that has extensive experience with all three units I would be interested in what flexibility and features you think the Advanced Control Module (ACM-ECB) is missing?

The ACM is available in two different versions, fused or electronic circuit breaker. The fused version uses lighted ATO style fuses for circuit protection. The electronic circuit breaker “ECB” version has internal circuit current monitoring and will shut off a circuit if the current is too high. With the ACM-ECB you can monitor the current of each circuit and reset any tripped circuits from the EFIS. The ACM is the main power distribution center for the aircrafts electrical system. The avionics, headsets, aircraft lights, autopilot servos, trim servos, flap motor, control sticks and panel switches all get connected to the ACM. Using the ACM with its plug and play features vastly simplifies an aircraft’s wiring and troubleshooting. The ACM also makes future upgrades extremely easy. Want to add an IFR Navigator in the future? No problem, just plug it into the ACM NAV-COM and GPS NAVIGATOR plugs. The complicated and time consuming (Audio Panel, GPS RS-232 data, NAV ARINC data and GPS ARINC) wiring is already done.

ACM Features
• 27 dedicated channels of circuit protection including: PFD, MFD, BACKUP EFIS, TRANSPONDER-ADSB, COM 1, NAV 1, COM 2, NAV 2, GPS NAVIGATOR, AUDIO PANEL, CABIN LIGHTS, DEFROST, ALTERNATOR, AUX POWER, STARTER, BOOST PUMP, PITOT HEAT, LEFT LANDING LIGHT, RIGHT LANDING LIGHT, NAV LIGHTS, STROBE LIGHTS, TRIM MOTORS, AP SERVOS, FLAP MOTOR.

ACM-ECB ONLY: BACKUP ALTERNATOR, TAXI LIGHTS, SPARE POWER CIRCUIT, CABIN LIGHT SWITCH

• Built in SV-ARINC module
• Multi Step Flap Positioning System
• Wig-Wag Lighting Circuit (airspeed controlled)
• Panel Dimmer
• Trim Controller (must have SV-AP-PANEL)
• SV Network Hub (4 Port + AP Servos)
• Panel Switch Interface with support for switch lights
• Control Stick Interface

When you are comparing pricing don't forget that the ACM includes the SV-ARINC module ($475), SV-NET-HUB ($50) and does not require the VPX license ($275) for a total savings of $800

The ACM-ECB can be purchased with the harnesses, email sales@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com for a package quote. The module is priced at $2,750 in the package.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems / Dynon Avionics

Last edited by N402RH : 07-17-2018 at 01:33 PM.