What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Post questions here for new Garmin Transponders!

If one gets the GTX 345 with GPS - can that GPS be used as a source for other devices - specifically I was wanting to now if it can be used by my 406 ELT as a GPS source?

Hello Corefile,

Your ELT would probably need NMEA or Aviation formats, and neither of those are available from the GTX 345 w/ GPS.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Corefile,

Your ELT would probably need NMEA or Aviation formats, and neither of those are available from the GTX 345 w/ GPS.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, what about a gps source for a GTR 200 or a D180?

Streamline the D180 RV-12. Replace the SL40, GTX327, Intercom and 496 with a 345 for 2020 and GPS, a GTR 200 for com and intercom, finally an iPad with FF for navigation, traffic and weather?

470 with sl70

I just had a gdu 460 installed and am pairing with my old sl70 for now. I was under the impression that I didn't require the old alt encoder however I can't seem to get alt to function. Would love to know if I'm either doing something incorrectly or if the encoder is actually required.

Thanks.

Steve, what about a gps source for a GTR 200 or a D180?

Streamline the D180 RV-12. Replace the SL40, GTX327, Intercom and 496 with a 345 for 2020 and GPS, a GTR 200 for com and intercom, finally an iPad with FF for navigation, traffic and weather?

Hello CT,

Just providing GPS position to a GTR 200 has zero value.

The VHF Out format provided by many Garmin portables (and G3X/G3X Touch systems) provides frequencies and identifiers for nearby and flight plan airports and supports selecting and sending frequencies to the GTR 200 from the waypoint page.

More information in this thread.

Thanks,
Steve

While drawing up schematics for a GTX-345 install in my RV-6A, I came across this question:

I am using the Garmin GTX 3XX AML STC Installation Manual, Revision 8. Looking at Figure B-11 on page 17 of Appendix B, there is a NOTE 5. This note states that pin 21 and pin 42 are NOT USED.

These two pins are the Aircraft Power pins for the GTX-345. I can only assume this NOT USED note is a typographical error and these pins really are used (as indicated by other diagrams in this section).

Now for the question: are there other pins on the P3251 connector that are not to be used that Note 5 was intended?

MY specific unit is a GTX-345 with GPS with GAE optional encoder.

While drawing up schematics for a GTX-345 install in my RV-6A, I came across this question:

I am using the Garmin GTX 3XX AML STC Installation Manual, Revision 8. Looking at Figure B-11 on page 17 of Appendix B, there is a NOTE 5. This note states that pin 21 and pin 42 are NOT USED.

These two pins are the Aircraft Power pins for the GTX-345. I can only assume this NOT USED note is a typographical error and these pins really are used (as indicated by other diagrams in this section).

Now for the question: are there other pins on the P3251 connector that are not to be used that Note 5 was intended?

MY specific unit is a GTX-345 with GPS with GAE optional encoder.

Hello Noel,

Sorry for the confusion. "Not Used" next to Note 5 on the notes page is meant to indicate that this note is not used for this drawing.

There is a note 5 relating to the two power pins on the GTX 330 installation drawing that doesn't apply to the GTX 345, so this note was marked as "Not Used".

Thanks,
Steve

GSU25 with SL70

Hi, on a new install of a GDU460 with GSU25 and (old) SL70 we can't seem to get altitude information to the SL70. Will this G3X provide this information or are we trying to do the impossible and should reinstall the previous altitude encoder?

thanks,
Cyrus

G3X Expert: Need some "programming" advice

Getting ready to self install the GTX 335 into my RV7A. Steinair is sending me a conversion harness to speed up my wiring. I've already installed the adsb antenna. I currently have a GTX 330 (non-ES) which worked well but is not ads-b compliant. The cost of upgrading both my 430s (non-WAAS) and my 330 was just too great so I decided to swap out the 330 for the 335. My dual EFIS' are the old GRT Horizon WS model with a 429 link.

My questions are related to programming. Could you send me (PM) the recommended settings for:
1. Section 6.5 (Interfaces)
2. Section 6.6 (Unit Settings)
3. Section 6.7 (Display Settings)
4. Section 6.8 (Sensors)
5. Section 6.9 (ADSB)

Also how do you enter "letters" for the model S hex code and tail number?

Love the sales price for the 335 kit! Just wish the 345 had a similar deal.

Hi, on a new install of a GDU460 with GSU25 and (old) SL70 we can't seem to get altitude information to the SL70. Will this G3X provide this information or are we trying to do the impossible and should reinstall the previous altitude encoder?

thanks,
Cyrus

Hello Cyrus,

The older transponders supported by G3X/G3X Touch are shown on page 26-21 of the Rev. AB G3X Installation Manual. You will notice that all of those transponders support the "Remote" or "Remote + TIS" RS-232 format.

I dug up an SL70 manual, and it doesn't seem to support the required protocol.

The G5 flight instrument supports a more generic altitude encoder output, so if you have a G5, you could try using this unit to supply pressure altitude data to your SL70, but we haven't tested this.

Thanks,
Steve

Hey Steve,
There is going to be about 6 or 7 of us RV's flying into K81 Saturday on our way to OSH. Stopping for fuel and breakfast. Any chance you might be out to the airport then? Would love to talk with you about avionics before OSH.

Basic Touch

I have installed a G3X touch
GTX 45R
GPS20A

I am getting "no fis-b receiver"
How dpi configure this system?

Scott A Jordan
N733JJ

What about the GDL-88/796/900X?

Just attach an Aera 79X bare wire mount to your instrument panel with 4 screws, wire up the GTX and optional traffic/terrain/obstacle alert audio, and you can have a great navigator with ADS-B traffic and weather. The GTX 345 has 4 serial ports, so there is plenty of opportunity to implement a high reliability, no-fuss interface.

cf-lg.jpg

796_660_GTX345_Wiring.png

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

Can the 796 be connected via the bare wire mount to a 900X/GDL-88 combo or do I need the Flightstream 210? I'm still stuck waiting for my software upgrade on the 900X but I'd like to set an appointment for the GDL-88 install.

-Marc

G3X touch
GTX45R
GOS 20A

How do I configure to get ADSB -In?

Scott A Jordan
N733JJ

Hello Scott,

Are you using V5.30 G3X Touch software?

Do you have one of the 4 serial ports on the GTX 45R connected to an RS-232 port on each of your display(s) configured for "Connext 57600 baud"?

You will also want to configure the ADS-B Receive Capability fields of the transponder configuration to show that UAT and 1090ES reception are enabled to make sure you receive TIS-B traffic.

With this software/configuration/wiring the ADS-B In services should automatically become available.

Thanks,
Steve

Can the 796 be connected via the bare wire mount to a 900X/GDL-88 combo or do I need the Flightstream 210? I'm still stuck waiting for my software upgrade on the 900X but I'd like to set an appointment for the GDL-88 install.

-Marc

Hello Marc,

The GDL88 doesn't support the newer "Connext 57600 baud" serial protocol for ADS-B traffic and weather provided by the GTX 345/345R/45R, so it cannot be connected to the Aera 660/795/796 over a hardwired connection.

A FlightStream 210 connected to a GDL88 should work, but only as a wireless connection to the 796.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Scott,

Are you using V5.30 G3X Touch software?

Do you have one of the 4 serial ports on the GTX 45R connected to an RS-232 port on each of your display(s) configured for "Connext 57600 baud"?

You will also want to configure the ADS-B Receive Capability fields of the transponder configuration to show that UAT and 1090ES reception are enabled to make sure you receive TIS-B traffic.

With this software/configuration/wiring the ADS-B In services should automatically become available.

Thanks,
Steve

Yes, I have 5.3
RS232 IN4 on the GDU460 comes from serial 3 on the GTX 45 and is now set to connext 5700.
On the transponder port 3 has AFS-B. Connext 1, connext2 and GNS options.
Port 2 goes the the GPS20 and has the same options.

Thanks.
Scott

Yes, I have 5.3
RS232 IN4 on the GDU460 comes from serial 3 on the GTX 45 and is now set to connext 5700.
On the transponder port 3 has AFS-B. Connext 1, connext2 and GNS options.
Port 2 goes the the GPS20 and has the same options.

Thanks.
Scott

Hello Scott,

Page 26-22 of the Rev. AB G3X Installation manual explains how to wire and configure a G3X Touch system for a GTX 45R transponder.

It explains to configure the GDU serial port for "Connext 57600 baud" and configure the corresponding GTX 45R serial port for "CONNEXT FMT 1".

The following page (26-23) in this installation manual shows how to wire and configure a GPS 20A and specifies you should set the GTX 45R port connected to the GPS 20A to "ADS-B+".

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin GTX 345 Install Update

I bought and installed my Garmin GTX 345 last year before Oshkosh. I use my Garmin 430W with software updates as the GPS position source. I use the altitude encoder from my AFS 4500. I really like that I only need one antenna to both transmit (ADSB out) and receive (ADSB In). Many of the other systems I looked at required two antennas.

The 345 is connected to a Garmin Aera 660 via the Barewire Cable. I use the bluetooth connection with my Ipad mini using Foreflight as my backup. It's really great being able to look ahead at WX.

I'm surprised by how much traffic is out there that you never see. Its really nice to get audio alerts as well.

This combination has worked flawlessly for over a year. I remain very impressed with these products. I have not required service but when I had questions I received quick and complete responses. I am very satisfied.

Regrets:

If I waited a few months I would have qualified for the FAA $500.00 rebate.

I see there's a software update available for the GTX 345. Can I do that or do I have to bring it to a service center?

Last edited:
I bought and installed my Garmin GTX 345 last year before Oshkosh. I use my Garmin 430W with software updates as the GPS position source. I use the altitude encoder from my AFS 4500. I really like that I only need one antenna to both transmit (ADSB out) and receive (ADSB In). Many of the other systems I looked at required two antennas.

The 345 is connected to a Garmin Aera 660 via the Barewire Cable. I use the bluetooth connection with my Ipad mini using Foreflight as my backup. It's really great being able to look ahead at WX.

I'm surprised by how much traffic is out there that you never see. Its really nice to get audio alerts as well.

This combination has worked flawlessly for over a year. I remain very impressed with these products. I have not required service but when I had questions I received quick and complete responses. I am very satisfied.

Regrets:

If I waited a few months I would have qualified for the FAA $500.00 rebate.

I see there's a software update available for the GTX 345. Can I do that or do I have to bring it to a service center?

Hello Charlie,

Thank you for your report. I am with you. Having ADS-B traffic is awesome. On most days I fly, it is more important than weather.

If you are coming to Oshkosh, we can update your transponder software there, otherwise you would need to visit your dealer.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=151425

Thanks again,
Steve

Dual Bluetooth GTX-345 / Flight Stream 210

Hello Charlie,

You would need to install a Flight Stream 210 unit connected via hardwire to both the GNS and GTX 345 to be able to send flight plans to the GNS 430W.

The Flight Stream 210 will receive attitude, traffic, and weather from the GTX 345, so your mobile device would have just a single Bluetooth interface to receive this data and share flight plans.

When the Flight Stream 210 is installed, you will need to turn off the Bluetooth interface on the GTX 345.

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

Steve,
Why is it necessary to turn off the Bluetooth on the GTX-345 when also using the Flight Stream 210. I'm going to install the 210 so I can pass flight plans from Foreflight to the 430W. And, I was hoping I'd gain some additional Bluetooth connections by having the 210 and the 345 available.

I see the 210 will support 4 devices though so maybe not as big an issue as I thought.

Does the 210 provide the same Connext type connection as the 345 or is there some difference?
Thanks,
Randy

Steve,
Why is it necessary to turn off the Bluetooth on the GTX-345 when also using the Flight Stream 210. I'm going to install the 210 so I can pass flight plans from Foreflight to the 430W. And, I was hoping I'd gain some additional Bluetooth connections by having the 210 and the 345 available.

I see the 210 will support 4 devices though so maybe not as big an issue as I thought.

Does the 210 provide the same Connext type connection as the 345 or is there some difference?
Thanks,
Randy

Hello Randy,

Wow, that post was 2.5 years ago, and not sure it was correct.

We don't have much experience with a FS 210 since no G3X Touch aircraft needs one, but we don't know of any reason why the Bluetooth on the GTX 345 has to be turned off when a FS 210 is installed.

The FS 210 Connext interface provides more features (such as flight plan transfer) than the Connext interface on a GTX 345 (which provides traffic/weather/attitude), but it is a similar interface.

Thanks,
Steve

Fis-b ?mulation and gdl39

Hi Steve,
I have a great 695 which I like as the screen is really great under the sun and the device has buttons and knobs which I love when I fly a bumpy ride. I cannot understand how people use their touch screen in bad weather... but this is an other topic!
I also bought a gdl39 3D, used one to get adsb in.
As I am located in France I can see the adsb equipped plane.
That works great. However we do not have uat ground stations in France. So only air to air @ 1090.

I took the 695 and gdl39 to Redhill in uk as they are running a uat trial. That worked great! NEXRAD like image on the 695, metars ... that is really cool!

And I was thinking how could we get weather in the 695 in France. I tried the garmin pilot app on an iPad, and garmin made a great app with weather ( from internet) but the iPad screen is not at all sunlight readable and it is a touchscreen , not good in my opinion.
Garmin essentially created an app which is a fis-b emulator. If only I could get that in the 695 that would be great....
Did garmin ever though about such fis-b emulator for non USA pilot? I would think about an app sending via Bluetooth the fis-b to gdl39 through one one the 4 Bluetooth channels, and the gdl39 would merge that with real traffic and send via serial wire to 695. Or a simple Bluetooth to rs232 could create a link between the phone and the 695...
For pilots flying at 3000 feet that would work with latest 4g phones. And with 5g, 6g and other coming the datalink will be better even...

Olivier.

Hi Steve,
I have a great 695 which I like as the screen is really great under the sun and the device has buttons and knobs which I love when I fly a bumpy ride. I cannot understand how people use their touch screen in bad weather... but this is an other topic!
I also bought a gdl39 3D, used one to get adsb in.
As I am located in France I can see the adsb equipped plane.
That works great. However we do not have uat ground stations in France. So only air to air @ 1090.

I took the 695 and gdl39 to Redhill in uk as they are running a uat trial. That worked great! NEXRAD like image on the 695, metars ... that is really cool!

And I was thinking how could we get weather in the 695 in France. I tried the garmin pilot app on an iPad, and garmin made a great app with weather ( from internet) but the iPad screen is not at all sunlight readable and it is a touchscreen , not good in my opinion.
Garmin essentially created an app which is a fis-b emulator. If only I could get that in the 695 that would be great....
Did garmin ever though about such fis-b emulator for non USA pilot? I would think about an app sending via Bluetooth the fis-b to gdl39 through one one the 4 Bluetooth channels, and the gdl39 would merge that with real traffic and send via serial wire to 695. Or a simple Bluetooth to rs232 could create a link between the phone and the 695...
For pilots flying at 3000 feet that would work with latest 4g phones. And with 5g, 6g and other coming the datalink will be better even...

Olivier.

Hello Olivier,

That's a great idea!

You are probably aware that the Aera 660 already supports internet weather, but we appreciate that you like the user interface for the 695.

We are glad to see the UAT testing happening in the U.K. Perhaps it will spread around Europe and provide the capabilities we enjoy in the U.S. You already have the right equipment and software for that.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Olivier,

That's a great idea!

You are probably aware that the Aera 660 already supports internet weather, but we appreciate that you like the user interface for the 695.

We are glad to see the UAT testing happening in the U.K. Perhaps it will spread around Europe and provide the capabilities we enjoy in the U.S. You already have the right equipment and software for that.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,
Nope, I was not aware for the Aera 660. I will have a look into that one. Too bad that is not on the 695...
Thank you.

Great 660!

Steve,

Looked in your annoucement made earlier about the 660.... This is exactly it!
Would be great if Garmin would make a new 695, OR, if Garmin could come up with GDL39 SW revision 4.90... With internet weather. Bluetooth internet tethering is possible with both Android and Iphone :)

Olivier.

I have a few questions to add to the list:

I have a GTX 345 connected to a GTN 650. I have a Gillham Altitude source connected to the GTX. Both units have the latest software. I'm having a little trouble with the configuration.

The GTN gives me two warning messages (that I can't clear)

NAV ANGLE: NAV Angles are referenced to True North

VNAV: Unavailable: Barometric altitude lost.

I have Altitude source and Heading source disabled on the GTN.

Questions:
1) How do I get rid of the warning messages?
2) Can the GTX send the pressure altitude source to the GTN?
3) - OR- Do I need to connect a pressure altitude source to the GTN to get VNAV support?
4) If I connect the Pressure Altitude to the GTN, do I need it also connected to the GTX,
5) or can the GTN feed the GTX the pressure altitude source?

FAA ADS-B SAPT flight-plan form question

I have a GTX-345 with pressure altitude encoder. On the FAA SAPT flight-plan form for question #11 remarks, what Navigation Source TSO code, ASD-B Link TSO, Mask Angle, and Baro-Aiding equipment installed should I choose?

I have a GTX-345 with pressure altitude encoder. On the FAA SAPT flight-plan form for question #11 remarks, what Navigation Source TSO code, ASD-B Link TSO, Mask Angle, and Baro-Aiding equipment installed should I choose?
Hello RGlass,

Before getting into the specifics of filling out and using the Service Availability Prediction Tool (SAPT), are you aware that the FAA issued a NOTAM clarifying the requirements for the use of this tool which specifies:

"Note: It is not necessary for operators of aircraft equipped with the Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) (TSO−C145 or TSO−C146) receivers to conduct a preflight availability prediction. "

Most of us are using TSO C145/C146 WAAS GPS receivers as our position source, and thus are exempt from the requirement for preflight use of this tool. The Garmin GNS 4XXW/5XXW, GTN 6XX/7XX, GPS 175, GNX 375, GPS 20A, and the WAAS GPS built into the GDL 82 and various GTX 345 w/GPS model position sources are all compliant to these standards.

Thanks,
Steve

Back