What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Make RV-12 Cabin More Habitable in Winter

Piper J3

Well Known Member
The weather is getting cold and I decided to tackle the problem of cold air passing forward from the baggage compartment.

The solution consists of one piece of sheet aluminum, two pieces of cardboard, and three pieces of foam. The RV-12 seat backs are aluminum frames with 1” angle sides that contain the upright upholstered cushions.

I made an aluminum sheet 18”H with 1” flanged sides to block the air between the two seat backs. The 1” flanges tuck between the seat frame and the seat cushion. The piece of aluminum is tapered something like 3” wide at the top and 5-1/2” at the bottom. The two side baffles are similarly 18"H with 1” flange but made from cardboard. The outer cardboard edge is taped to the roll bar with blue painters tape.

All three baffles use foam on the bottom to seal against uneven bottom seat cushion and yet not impinge on the seat belt anchors or the central flap handle. The baffles at made from 3” foam and each is 6” high. You will have to custom measure/trial for width.

So how does it work? Today I flew with 35F OAT and the only air movement I noticed was from over the top of the seat backs and even that amount of air was slight. I would say it works very well.

Below is a poor sketch. I will take a few photos next time I fly.

-

2w65p54.jpg

Last edited:
This is a great idea. I look forward to seeing how it works!

I am hoping to order the landing gear leg-to-fuselage fairings for the new RV-12IS when they become available. I am hoping the the fairings will stop the cold blast behind the seats.

I am hoping to order the landing gear leg-to-fuselage fairings for the new RV-12IS when they become available. I am hoping the the fairings will stop the cold blast behind the seats.

I installed gear leg/fuselage fairings and it didn't stop air ingress. See http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1210612&postcount=5.

I think air comes in through the spar openings. My theory is if you contain the incoming air behind the seats then the venturi effect of the tail cone will extract the incoming air through the corrugated openings on the edges of the rear baggage bulkhead.

Last edited:
A couple of shop towels stuffed in the spar openings works wonders for the wintertime. Easily removed for summer.

I have not tried this yet, but thought of injecting Great Stuff Foam into plastic bags that have been stuffed into gaps.

I had quite a gale coming in behind the seats. Turned out to be the gaps around the spars. I RTV'd foam strips about 1.5" to 2.0" square to each side of the spars so that they compress against the fuse when the wings are pushed in. Solved the problem.

Jack

I had quite a gale coming in behind the seats. Turned out to be the gaps around the spars. I RTV'd foam strips about 1.5" to 2.0" square to each side of the spars so that they compress against the fuse when the wings are pushed in. Solved the problem.

Jack

Any pictures?

Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any. Will get some next time the wings are off but that doesn't happen any more than necessary - could be a while.

Jack

Back