What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 540...8.5 or 9

togaflyer

Well Known Member
So I was at Sun N Fun planning my RV's future. Was talking to some engine guys about 8.5 or a 9 to 1 compression. Not really caring about adding more HP or burning mo gas. Just want a good solid engine. I was just planning to go with an 8.5, but I was told that the IO 540 actually prefers a 9-1 ratio. I know it adds some HP, but according to the engine guy, he said its better all around for the 540 series engine. Is there a difference beyond some more ponies.

So I was at Sun N Fun planning my RV's future. Was talking to some engine guys about 8.5 or a 9 to 1 compression. Not really caring about adding more HP or burning mo gas. Just want a good solid engine. I was just planning to go with an 8.5, but I was told that the IO 540 actually prefers a 9-1 ratio. I know it adds some HP, but according to the engine guy, he said its better all around for the 540 series engine. Is there a difference beyond some more ponies.

Better thermodynamic efficiency.... AKA gas mileage. Either way, fuel injection and an electronic ignition will allow LOP operation for more efficiency.

9:1

I am running 9:1 cylinders with EFII dual ignition system on 100LL. All working very well together.

Last edited:
I checked on the Peterson aviation WEB site. They offer MoGas STCs for many engine. They have STCs for O 540's, but reading their facts and questions, they do not offer MoGas STCs for the I/O 540 version. They said it did not meet their testing requirements. Since they spent money and time to test and obtain approval for the STCs, its a good indicator that if you want Mogas, maybe you need to run a version of the O-540 engine. Just a messenger, be gentle.

http://www.autofuelstc.com/approved_engines_airfames.phtml

I was curious, so on this page, i selected Lycoming for engine type. Notice that they dont list ANY IO engines. Only O engines. Thus, i dont think its displacement specific. Probably some other reason or marketing reason.

For Continentals, they do list IO-470 and IO-520. My guess is this has more to do with the marketing dominance of C182's and Bonanza's from the 70's maybe???

We've had this discussion in another thread.

Even 8.5:1 IO-540s are not Mogas approved even though a similar IO-360 is. They have, however, been approved for UL91 or 91/96UL available in Europe.

The bottom line is that under the US experimental category you can run what you like........

To get back to the question, I have standard 8.5:1 @260hp. I really can't see any reason to put in higher compression pistons or increase the power above that.

The engine shop Im considering recommended 9:1. He said its a great match with the IO 540. Said does not affect the engines longevity, gives a few more HP, fuel burn about the same. He does not charge any more for the higher compression jugs, so its not about making more money. I know the stock 8:5 gives the RV 10 more than enough for that platform, but I dont see a bump to the 9:1 a critical difference. Which was one of my concerns.

I'm not saying that you can't run an IO-540 with higher compression pistons but my point is - "what's the point?". You end up limiting yourself on fuel choices for more HP which, honestly, isn't needed.

It's a sweet aeroplane at 260hp.......

Who makes them?

Which companies sell the 9:1 pistons or complete cyl assemblies?
Do you have to install cyl and pistons (complete assembly) from the manufacturer, or can you use pistons from one manufacturer and cyls from another?
Does Lycoming produce the 9:1 cyl assemblies?
Which manufacturers of cyl assemblies do you recommend?
Thanks.
Johan

I'm not saying that you can't run an IO-540 with higher compression pistons but my point is - "what's the point?". You end up limiting yourself on fuel choices for more HP which, honestly, isn't needed.

It's a sweet aeroplane at 260hp.......

Come to Denver. There is no such thing as to much power and many of us are running 10:1 including a buddy's rocket with a 540. No issues and at this altitude, no TBO reduction. At sea level...your mileage may vary if you run around wide open all the time like I tend to up here. Then again, at sea level I can't leave the big handle forward or I'm climbing the barbers pole.

Last edited:
What about 10:1?

I believe my Lycon engine has 10:1 pistons. Anyone aware of problems with these?

Johan,
you can change the cylinders, which includes the pistons et all, to increase HP without much weight penalty. A friend has a -10 with 10:1 jugs and he claims he is in the 290 plus HP range. He calls it a poor mans turbo charge. Higher compression cylinders can also mean more wear and tear on the engine and could impact the longevity of the engine. I settled on the 9:1 because it was recommended by the engine shop that will be doing the engine build. Few more HP without being hard on the engine. If you get the XIO 540 from Vans, its a brand new stock engine vs a rebuilt. There is nothing wrong with a shop doing a rebuild, but make sure they use crank shafts etc that meets new specks. Cylinders etc should be new.

This where I need advice

I should explain better. I am replacing all 6 cyls on my engine that is being rebuilt. I am keen to go with 9:1 CR. I know there are different manufactures of cyl assemblies (ECI, Superior etc). In the past I have used Lycoming cyl assemblies exclusively, and have little knowledge about the other options. It seems that Lycoming does not produce 9:1 assemblies, but I might be mistaken. So I am asking for advice regarding choices and your experience with other manufacturers.
Thanks.
Johan

I'm running 9.5 pistons in my rocket with no issues runs cool ,can run lop cruise 200 knts @ less than 11 gph, pull back a little and can run less than 10 gph pistons are from combustion technologies.

10:1

I have a Lycon modified engine with 10:1 pistons. Anyone with experience on this type engine, pro or con?

Back