What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navigation Light

CarlosM

Back on the saddle...
Just finished the tail and would like some ideas on how to run the rudder wiring for the Nav light thru the fuselage.
Thanks, Carlos

Back on the saddle...
Just finished the tail and would like some ideas on how to run the rudder wiring for the Nav light thru the fuselage.
Thanks, Carlos

I believe that Van's electrical plans are included on the RV-10 plans CD. While Van's electrical design is very simplistic and minimal, I found the plans gave me ideas to answer questions like you are asking. Van's also makes some parts that are only shown in the electrical plans that are useful. There is a bracket that is meant to be used in mounting adel clamps. This work well when running cables through a lightening hole. You can fabricate them yourself, but I found it's much easier to buy them.

Install a busing or grommet in the bulkheads and an adel clamp where needed to the J-channel to support the wiring.

Tail Light wiring

Carlos,

How did you route the wire forward from the tail light/rudder fairing into the tunnel or the aircraft? Do you have a picture?

I don't have pictures, it's still a work in process. But I have both the tail strobe and a trim servo in my rudder. Both cables exit (left and right) the fuselage just under the lowest rudder hinge, with snap bushings in the hole. They go to connectors under the bottom rib of the rudder. The forward end of the rudder fairing, where the cables can potentially chafe, has caterpillar grommet over the raw edge. The connectors are supported by the bottom rib and are about 5 inches aft the leading edge, giving enough slack to allow free rudder movement but not leaving too much of a free run.

Tail light

Carlos,

Thanks That is what I was thinking I just was a little worried about putting a hole through a structural part of the aircraft. I think there are a couple of layers there so it is pretty thick as well.

Thanks for making me feel better about adding a hole>:).

Back