What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMU 22 Mounting

ethand

Well Known Member
What is the consensus for mounting location of the GMU 22 in the -10? In reading the Garmin do's and don'ts it seems nearly impossible to actually mount the thing in the airplane.

10' from servo motors (some say this is an overkill) and other requirements.

Pictures are always nice.

Planning the wiring and am hung up on this

Thanks in advance
Ethan

In my 7 I mounted it on the horizontal plate under the horizontal stabilizer. Works great there. It is a compromise that must be made.

2wnydqs.jpg

Last edited:
Third bulkhead aft of baggage compartment, using the bracket from Stein. It passed the operational checks with only low levels of interference.

I mounted mine using a bracket I obtained from Stein on the top of the bulkhead behind the baggage bulkhead. It passes all tests with flying colors.

Me too...

Third bulkhead aft of baggage compartment, using the bracket from Stein. It passed the operational checks with only low levels of interference.

+1 -- that's the F-1008-R Frame for those of you playing at home. I too used the Stein provided bracket (but I have a GMU 44) mounted on the forward side of the bulkhead and had no issues passing the calibration tests. For data points besides the trim servo behind the magnetometer, I have my transponder (GTX 23ES) and auto pilot pitch servo and associated auto trim box mounted in front of it just behind the battery. With all of that turned on and working plus the standard rear seat belt attach hardware in relatively close proximity it passed just fine.

GMU22 mount

I talked to many (Stein, Garmin, etc) and decided to make a mount on the bulkhead near the static ports. The wings are a problem because of ferrous counterweights in the ailerons. Garmin sells a mounting plate for the area in the aft tailcone, but caution about interference from the trim servo. (BTW, I checked that (with my boy scout compass) and found no interference.) I had the Stein mount, but elected to make my own mount since I will be mounting the GMU22 as well as the Dynon magnetometer for my D6 (backup) compass. Since any ferrous material can be a problem, I checked the mounting hardware for the shoulder harness and changed bolts, washers and nuts to stainless. Even stainless isn't foolproof. I bought 20 and checked each with the compass and found enough, with not magnetic effect, that were used for the shoulder harness mounting. Thought about changing the shoulder harness cables to stainless, but didn't see any effect from them in the area for the magnetometers. (Weeks wasted over thinking things!!) I probably could have just mounted both magnetometers in the rear tailcone area??

I have both the garmin mounted on the 1st bulkhead behind the baggage bulkhead, and the Dynon D6 magnetometer 6" in front of it hanging from the top of the fuse. I have two batteries, autopilot servo, Whelen strobe power suppply on a tray on the floor. Like I posted earlier, no issues whatsoever

Back