VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-16-2017, 05:48 AM

Default One more qualitative data point: Clocking. 11/5 vs 9/3

First, clarifying my positional description: clock face reference is facing the a/c, 16h into phase 1. Prop was mounted 11/5 with #1 at TDC. As RPM climbed, a discernible vibe was felt. Changed to 9/3 today with #1 at TDC, and noticed a significant reduction in vibration via the butt-o-meter, ground runs only. It stops in an awkward place, near vertical, but I can deal with that.

The 25 year experienced IA that was finishing up my bleed down thought it was an odd mounting, but his comments seem to come back to safe hand propping. We'll balance it in the next couple weeks, I'll amend this then with data, and once we get to flying.
Dog is my copilot, rest in peace 2015APR28. I miss that dog.

Last edited by rjcthree : 07-16-2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-16-2017, 08:58 AM

Well, here's another anecdotal piece of "evidence". When I bought my RV-6 the prop was clocked to stop vertically. After flying with it that way for a couple of years, I was talked into changing it to the 10:30/2:30 clocking that "everyone else has". It felt different afterwards, but I don't know that i'd say it was smoother or rougher overall.

It's still clocked there four years later, but I did balance it down to .020 IPS early this year. That made a difference I could feel in my butt while flying.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:08 AM

At least for me, talking about where the prop stops is very imprecise language. I've had at least one engine that frequently stopped somewhere near TDC.

Where's the prop with cyl #1 @ TDC? I would think that's the important data point, for this discussion.

Charlie