What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overzealous deburring

I.am.Human.Factors

I'm New Here
Hi all -

I?m a first time poster but a long time lurker. I?m currently working on an RV-7 tail kit. I finished the HS which went well, however in deburring the ribs and spars of my VS, I believe I was a little overzealous with my deburring causing larger than normal chamfers on my holes. Now I understand that chamfers are essentially a fact of life when using a three-flute deburring tool like I am, however when does it become too much? I don?t believe any of my holes are enlarged, however say on my .032 rear spar, many are likely a little more than the 10% chamfer limit identified in the Van?s rivet specs.

I have ordered all new spars and ribs for the VS. My concern is, however, is that since the skin was already final-drilled to these orignial spar/rib parts, that I run the risk of making oval or enlarged holes as I try to final-drill the skin to these new interior structures if they?re slightly off from the original kit parts.

My question is, do I accept the slightly deep duburred holes, or do I redo the interior understructure?

I appreciate everyone?s input.

- Tucker

Welcome to VAF

Hi all -

I’m a first time poster but a long time lurker.

- Tucker

Tucker, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

I like the single hole deburring tool much better than a three flute-----you might give one a try. http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Hex-Shank-Hole-Deburring-Tool/productinfo/DB04/#.W9ZKPflRepo

I use one in a cordless screwdriver like this one------low speed is a plus. https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...40770570&sr=1-4&keywords=cordless+screwdriver

Also, if you have not yet joined a local EAA chapter, may I suggest you should do so.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride:D

Last edited:
If you decide to match drill the skin to the underlying structure, I would suggest a #40 straight flute reamer vs a drill bit,

Back