Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-17-2009, 09:36 PM

Default Just want to do it right

Hi all,

I wanted to post a question before I charge ahead. I have finally fit the slider frame on my -7. It got beat up a bit from using a conduit bender. I would like to repaint the steel frame as well as the roll bar, just so that they match.

From past painting I know that PPG Polyurethane type paints are durable etc... but I no longer have the facility to paint with such paints. So from the forum search it seems like the Rust-o-leum spray cans seem to be a popular choice amongst builders for both ease of application and durability.

I'm going to go this route unless others can advise me otherwise. I will likely go this route as well when it comes time to paint the interior. Again if there are others who would advise against, please let me know.

Thanks and happy building,

Darren
Old 10-17-2009, 09:52 PM

Polyurethanes are very tough, but properly cured Rustoleum is a very tough rattle can paint. No problem at all using it on the slider frame, as there is very little wear on that.

Heck, back in the day of the rudder pedal service bulletin, I resprayed my pedals with rustoleum, and they don't look any more worn than the stuff I painted with Imron...
Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info Kyle. Now I really don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but as my post says, I want to do this right the first time. I have a link here to the Rustoleum site. There are a bunch of rattle cans available and most say for interior use.

http://rustoleum.com/CBGCategory.asp?cid=10

Do I just go with the General Purpose one ? Thanks,

Darren