What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Now THAT's a Compressor!

gasman

Well Known Member
Friend
Title from Homebuilder's Portal and News... Oct 3rd.

To understand what an air compressor can do for you, don't look at the PSI as in this above news report.... 100psi.

To make your tools work, and to brag about size of "my compressor", you need to know what volume, cubic feet per minute (CFM) it is putting out. For example, For a single phase panel like most of us have at home, The largest motor you can run is a 5 hp. A good commercial 5hp two stage compressor will produce 23 cfm at a rate of 100psi.

To pick an air compressor for your project, you need to know the cfm that your tool will consume and provide a compressor that provide that amount with extra. Purchase a compressor by CFM, not horsepower. They have found a way to cheat you with a HP rating.

Size of storage tank..... That depends on how often you want to hear the compressor run. A big tank and a small cfm comp. you could get by all evening without it starting, but when it does kick in, it will take for ever to fill.

In the news article, the picture was very impressive. And I am sure I would have been very impressed with the CFM........:)

Back