What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly-in restaurants...

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin' everybody,
Yesterday we found out about Crabby Joe's seafood near the Metter, Ga airport and the wife and I decided to check it out last night. We walked about 1 1/2 miles after landing and the food was great! About $20. per, including tip.

Where else in Ga. is a decent fly-in type restaurant on or near an airport?

DeKalb-Peachtree (PDK) has the 57th Fighter Group. Nice upscale food. Buy a book called the "100 Dollar Hamburger". It lists many fly in restaurants and tells about them.

Roberta

Others

I'm not so sure the 57th is there any more. The Downwind is though. It's located in the old building under the old (shorter) tower. Lunch menu is different than the dinner menu. Lunch has a reasonable priced burger.

Edited: I stand corrected, the 57th is still open.

Winder, GA has a nice lunch spot on the field. Great sandwiches for hot days.

A courtesy car ride to Sprayberry's BBQ in Newnan, GA is always good. Not open on Sunday.

I have tried to get over to Pell Clty, AL a few times to try the restaurant there everyone raves about but never have been able to get in. King Air gear up on the runway and weather the next time.

Destin, Fl used to rent bicycles and you could eat at one of the many fish places around. I have not done this since the last hurricane, they may not be there anymore.

There a few others I have planned but have not attempted yet. Savannah is at the top of the list.

Last edited:
N Ga Seafood

Try the "Runway Fishhouse" in Cornelia http://www.airnav.com/airport/KAJR.

Park your plane and walk 1/4 mile to the restaurant... Great seafood buffet! $10/person. Be sure to call before going as they have a strange schedule. The Airnav listing has their number.

I was just at the 57th Fighter Squadron a couple of weeks ago. So it is still there. It is a very nice place for dinner or just to sit outside and have drinks (use a designated pilot of course :) ). Also, the Downwind on PDK is great for food and (the last time I was there) a nice deck on which to sit and watch the air traffic. And there is usually a lot.

When I was based out of Lawrenceville (LZU) me and some friends used to fly to Athens and take the courtesy car into town for dinner. Then, fly over to PDK to the Downwind and have Baklava for dessert.

food...

Prop stop deli in rome should still be there... Gwinette has a restraunt"the flying machine" on the ramp on the south side of the field/// just ask the controller. Winder prices are way to high for what they serve. Cannon has the cheapest fuel (18a). and it has a small self serve snack bar.. GREAT!!! and two courtesy cars and a great buffet right down the road and awesome bbq right down the road... door is foolhills freq for the code. Clemson has courtesty cars and the pot belly deli is awesome..(The scenery is beatiful too) wink wink... Peach state is a grass field and I heard their food is good.

Katana Cafe - CYXU

The Katana Cafe, on the airfield at London, Ontario (CYXU) is worth a visit. It has great food and a view of the airport, with outside seating in the summer. Tell the ground controller you are going to the Katana Cafe, and he'll tell you where to park.

In Southern Indiana, we try to fly every Saturday to an on field restaurant. Some of my favorites are Mattoon,IL Cole Co. MTO, Kentucky Rough River State Park 2I3, Kentucky Dam State Park M34, Louisville Bowman Field LOU great restaurants on field and across the street. Salem Indiana I83, Greencastle Putnam County 4I7 usually lots of RV?s there. All most forgot to mention our home field Daviess County at Washington,IN DCY were a short 2 mile ride in the courtesy car to the Black Buggy Amish food. The Black Buggy Restaurant serves three buffets daily Monday-Saturday.
RV7A Finishing Kit
Squeak

Last edited:
Back