Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-26-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
I use a Mr Funnel to filter my auto fuel when I'm transferring to a Flo-Fast container then use a Flo-Fast pump to pump (http://www.flofast.com/pumpstore.html) it into my -12. I don't care for the extra transfer that takes but does have the advantage of filtering all fuel that goes into the plane. Using the pump easily transfers the fuel into the plane.

MoGas is filtered to 30 microns at the pump provided the distributor maintains their filters. AvGas is filtered at 10 microns - always. Your filter is good for 127 microns per the manufacture.
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy2110 View Post
MoGas is filtered to 30 microns at the pump provided the distributor maintains their filters. AvGas is filtered at 10 microns - always. Your filter is good for 127 microns per the manufacture.
According to my filter label, it’s 50 microns, so I have no idea where you got your information. And the average paper element oil filter is 50-100 microns. Additionally, no paper element maintains the same filtration sizing, they only have an initial and not to exceed size. The actual ASTM allows “not to exceed” of 75 microns. But I thought your issue was with octane?

What’s your point?

- RV10, N1530G (reserved). Empennage in progress.
- RV12, N975G, Flying

Last edited by rongawer : 11-26-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 PM

I’ve been using gas pump UL premium for almost 6 years without dropping one bead of sweat over the gas quality from ARCO. Now you guys want to ruin my sleep quality!😱
Old 11-26-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
According to my filter label, it’s 50 microns, so I have no idea where you got your information. And the average paper element oil filter is 50-100 microns. Additionally, no paper element maintains the same filtration sizing, they only have an initial and not to exceed size. The actual ASTM allows “not to exceed” of 75 microns. But I thought your issue was with octane?

What’s your point?
That filter is 0.05 inches - not microns.
RV12 Flying.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy2110 View Post
The thread is about refueling the RV-12 and how folks have approached that. Mine is to use to use a Flo-Fast pump rather than try to deal with hoisting a 5 gallon can. It works well. Part of what I do is transfer, at ground level, from the cans I get the gas into a Flo-Fast container using a funnel. What I chose was a Mr Funnel that provides an additional filter that also helps eliminate moisture that might be in the fuel. I'm not trying to argue the quality of the filter.

As far as the issue of AvGas vs MoGas that the thread seems to have morphed to, the engine manufacturer endorses the use of MoGas and so it would seem to be OK to use. I'm always open to new information, though, so if you have some hard data that indicates a problem using MoGas I'm interested in seeing it.

The engine manufacturer also endorses the use of AvGas so use that if you'd rather, just be sure to adjust the maintenance schedule accordingly.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project; ready for engine & avionics
Old 11-27-2017, 04:49 PM

Would it be possible to see a picture of the burnt piston and the diagnosis rotax gave on exactly what happened ?

I use VP racing jugs to fill my plane, you will not spill a drop using these as they have a 2ft clear tube that you fill from and solid handles. This is what people use for dirt bikes etc. And you can easily see the fuel level in them.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:36 PM

Julian,

Do you have a link to buy them?

Rich
Old 11-27-2017, 07:50 PM

I’ll start a new thread for the piston.

Folks, I was a proud advocate of hauling MoGas to the airport. Did so for nearly 250 gallons. My incident caused me to assess the risks involved- that’s all.
Each of us has to accept the risks of what it takes to escape the surly bonds.

The VP cans are the best.
RV12 Flying.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:02 AM

Rich,

hose

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fue...ds=vp+fuel+jug

jug

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fue...CN8GEATTACT6YD
Old 12-01-2017, 08:12 PM

Here is a picture of my fuel cart. What I like about it;

It lines up well with the tail gate on the pickup, if you don't have a pickup this system still beats lifting the cans individually five feet off Terra firma.

You can take the furl out line off the fuel cell tank, extend it to a five gallon can on the floor, put the fuel nozzle (previously fuel out from the cell) into the fuel cell and fill the cell. This way you never have to lift anything off the floor or out of your trunk (remember, the cart has four wheels) As you may have surmised, I'm too old to be doing any of this.

The cart is composite, very light and purchased from Uline I think. I'll look it up is anyone cares to know.

The fill nozzle is very convenient, with no spillage.

I've pumped over fifty gallons with it without a battery charge.

The black fuel cell is standard circle track stuff, pricey new ($300.00) but cheap if you scout around your local auto racing shops. Everything is AN so it becomes a safe reliable integration.

What I don't like;

The cost adds up, I had the cell but if you bought it all new, over six hundred bucks.

It's one more d**n "system" that needs to be maintained, pampered and charged.

There has been some discussion about filtration. I fill the cell, whether at the gas station, or from five gallon cans, into a funnel with an automotive paper paint strainer. I have no idea what it's micron rejection is but will probably get a lesson on it shortly

Last edited by vernon smith : 12-01-2017 at 08:15 PM.