What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Power 540

sstellarv10

Well Known Member
I was just on Aerosport Powers website this morning and noticed the 540 wasn't listed anymore, did they stop producing this? :confused:

Yes

They no longer can provide it for a cheaper than Vans cost so they are dropping it.

This is what I have heard from other builders that are buying them right now.

They no longer can provide it for a cheaper than Vans cost so they are dropping it.

This is what I have heard from other builders that are buying them right now.

Wow! I know I paid more to AeroSport than I would for a Lycoming supplied IO-540, but the service and support was worth something. For example, try to buy an engine from Lycoming with an electronic ignition (Lightspeed, Electroair).

It sounds to me that the lack of competition in parts for IO-540 engines is the underlying cause. Only Lycoming makes the cranks, which are the most expensive part of the engine.

So Lycoming has a virtual monopoly on the IO-540... watch the prices go up dramatically (again)!

I believe the actual cause is that Lycoming has stopped selling 540 kits to re-builders like AeroSport, Mattituck, Barrett, etc.

As noted, you can still get one from a Lycoming distributer like Vans. I opted to go with a zero-time rebuilt from Barrett instead.

So Lycoming has a virtual monopoly on the IO-540... watch the prices go up dramatically (again)![/QUOTE]

I believe they have, the Vans price this year for the experimental 540 is 45,800 and I think last year it was in the 42's

get a older narrow deck

I agree with getting a "broken in" engine. I bought a used narrow deck and had a engine builder (America's) make it better than new.
I dont know why Aerosport wouldn't do the same thing?

I have just bought an IO540 from AeroSport. Until the recent Lycoming/VANS price hike, AeroSport were several $1000 more expensive. After the hike, they were aboiut the same. It seemed to me that AeroSport weren't going to hold their price for long so I ordered. I was told I got one of the last 2 "at the old price".

This would indicate to me that they are going to continue with the IO540 - perhaps they are just settling on their new pricing. As I understand it, they don't necessarily use Lycoming parts and source from other after-market pattern suppliers.

Has anyone asked them?

Aero Sport 540

Aero Sport can still build a new O/IO540 but with the large price increase from Lycoming on the parts the selling price is way out of wack compared to the price from Van's. We took the pricing off our site as we didn't think there would be a market for the engines at the price we would have to sell it for. We were told that the price increase was needed as Lycoming wasn't making any money on the kit engine program. Not sure how they can sell the finished product thru the OEMs and make money if the kit program was a loss. We are able to offer overhauled 540 engines but just not at the volumes we would like as cores are getting scarce. We have heard rumors that the aftermarket may have a 540 available in the near future. I will keep the site informed if I get more accurate information on that one.

Bart Lalonde

Aerosport Power

I spoke with Aerosport last week and they are having difficulty finding the D variant. What he suggested was that I buy a C variant and send it to them. For $29k he would return a D variant ready to go. To be clearer he would take the C and do his voodoo and turn it into a Aerosport IO-540 variant. As the only difference is RPM and a few other minor adjustments, they are mostly identical motors. Not to be confused with the TIO-540 C, a completely different motor.

So I bought a C, and there a lots available, and they are very inexpensive, and I will be sending it away to Aerosport next week. The total cost of the motor and Aerosport is far lower than buying a new D, but it is a motor with time.

Last edited:
I bought an N1A5 from them in 2010. It has been a great engine but not sure if it is more available than the D4A5.

FYI, an IO-540-D4A5 and an IO-540-C4B5 are the exact same engine parts wise. The difference between the two is one was certified at 2575 RPM and 250 TO HP and one with a higher TO rpm setting of 2700 RPM at 260HP. So exact same engines with two different TO rpm settings resulting in two different TO HP ratings and thus two different model designations. But for any RV'ers purpose they are the identical.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Back