What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior vs. ECI components?

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
HI all,

Hoping to get advise on choosing engine components.

I have a quote from Aerosport using ECI components on a IO-375 M1S with an option for Superior parts instead (crankcase, cylinders, roller lifter camshaft, etc) except for the crankshaft that remains ECI.

Other than the under $2000 for the option, what would be the pros and cons of getting the Superior parts, and is it worth it estimating 150-200 hours of flight per year?

I know this can be subjective but would still like to get your comments or reviews on this.

Thanks !!

ECI has had a rash of ADs here in the states but in the end that doesn't mean much. It could be Superior's turn to have a rash of ADs in the near future.

For what it's worth... I chose Superior parts for a recent overhaul with Lycoming cylinders. Superior parts are a bit easier for me to source locally but being in France I'm sure both are tough.

Ive always said, all things being equal, you should choose to support those vendors and products that are here on this site supporting your interests! ECI is a supporter of VAF, RV'ers everywhere, American owned and operated, and a supporter my team flying your planes. At least a few of those qualities might just tip you over.:cool:

For what it's worth... I chose Superior parts for a recent overhaul with Lycoming cylinders. Superior parts are a bit easier for me to source locally but being in France I'm sure both are tough.
Thanks Sid for your input, the engine will be installed in Canada and operated from there and USA so I believe availability of both should not cause problems.

Ive always said, all things being equal, you should choose to support those vendors and products that are here on this site supporting your interests!
Thanks Mike for your suggestion, and I agree, when all things being equal, (or when the product is better) I'm all for supporting vendors that are on this site and it is what I do or will do in future purchases as with, to name a few:
Cleaveland Tools,
Avery Tools
Aeroleds,
Van's Accessories,
Vetterman Exhaust,
EFII,
AFS
Vertical Power,
Aircraft Wraps
and others like Vince of FlyBoy Accessories and ACS...

As an example if I understand correctly, with the ECI package I get Flat Tappet Camshafts while with the Superior package I get Roller Lifter Camshafts and was wondering what can I expect with this and the other changes.

Any opinions ???

I had to make that same choice and decided on the Superior due to the Roller Lifters. Not sure I'm qualified to assess if those are a deal breaker or not as clearly the flat tappets work and and have worked for many engines in the past...

ECI components

When ordering my engine I had the same question.

I asked folks at Aerosport about it and they said in terms of quality both are fine. I just went with ECI components as $ value was quite significant.

Why not talk to Sue/someone at Aerosport directly about it?

You can Mix and Match to an extent as well (at least for the 360 size). Superior has the cold sump, ECI has the deeper crank for the -375. Superior has the roller tappets. Also, Superior millennium cylinders are not tapered. The ECI tapered cylinders need special care when it comes to making the baffles fit nicely.

Lots of different things to look at as you decide.

Thx

Complicating the matter, the presence of honest competition has meant that Lycoming parts have increased in quality over the years that ECI and Superior have been around!

Lycoming also has roller tappets - but they are a different design than Superior, not interchangeable, so once you choose a case from one or the other, you're committed for those parts.

As they say, past performance is an indication of future performance.

With that in mind, Superior has gone out of business once but ECI has had cylinder AD issues.

With regard to the ECI AD's, I believe but have no proof, that the AD's might be more related to political lobbying than actual failure rates.

(When I bought my engine kit Superior was out of business and ECI was in the middle of their first cylinder AD. Their current cylinder AD has to do with their Continental cylinders, not Lycoming. I have been very happy with my ECI engine, even though I put it together myself.)

Last edited:
Your call.

I have known the people and parts of both for some time now. Both will fit the bill for anything you want. For my personal power plants. I go with "E.C.I". They have the cranks, engine cases, and cylinder I want, to build a med. "BMEP", but that is were I like to run as I like to have one last and be reasonably rebuilt down the road. Every one wants something to their own liking You will not go off the end with either or all three. It is all about you and what you have in mind. I do hope this helps even if there is no pointing one out to you. Yours as always. R.E.A. III # 80888

In both camps

I have a superior engine in my -7. And it's been faultless for the past 7 years.
In my -10 I have a rebuilt engine that has ECI cylinders.
One thing I personally think is worthwhile if the engine is like to be used less than 100 hours a year is the roller cam.
Talking to Superior at Sun and Fun they said they are yet to see a roller cam fail. That certainly can't be said for the old style cams. I know of some younger than mine that have already failed.

Cheers

Peter

I've also heard that it's not the cam that fails with the roller lifters, it's the lifters.

Ask around at rebuild shops and see how the roller lifters are holding up.

I've also heard that it's not the cam that fails with the roller lifters, it's the lifters.

Ask around at rebuild shops and see how the roller lifters are holding up.

I don't know about Superior's, but I believe the Lycoming rollers have to be REPLACED every overhaul, no reusing of the the lifters allowed.

Thank you !!

Just want to say thanks to all of you that offered inputs, I really appreciated!! :cool:

Best regards

You would not feel that way if it was one of your cylinders that broke off in flight like our

With regard to the ECI AD's, I believe but have no proof, that the AD's might be more related to political lobbying than actual failure rates.

You would not feel that way if it was one of your cylinders that broke off in flight like our

Yes, but I remember reading someplace that the rate of ECI cylinder failures is actually less than the rate for the same failure of Lycoming cylinders. I couldn't find the report that stated that but if someone else could find it, I would be grateful.

Back